• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 carbine buffer

Madhouse

Just tried it this morning & it worked just fine . I was doing function testing for the bolt catch & forgot I even had it in there .

I had my chronograph set up but didn't do comparison testing between the two springs, but will next week.

That is one long spring & I didn't think I would get the buffer in there .

All ejected cases were @ about 1430 & all were in one nice pile . I went through 300 rds today & the only thing I had a problem with was an occasional failure to feed with the Pmags only .

All DPMS & Cproducts mags worked flawlessly.

This CMMG lower just doesn't like the Pmags .

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a box full of parts that will become a complete rifle at some point in the near future!  Still have  a few components to get yet.  I'm wondering about a buffer and spring.  Tactical Machining, POF, and DPMS from MidwayUSA are all $25 & $5 respectively.  There is a member on another AR board that is very respected that makes heavier buffers for a 308 carbine.  His are much more expensive.  I don't mind paying for quality but I can buy each of the buffers above and still have enough left over for a box of ammo for what I could buy one of the other one for.  Being that my receivers and BCG are all DPMS I'm thinking I'll get the DPMS buffer and spring from Midway.  Any good bad or ugly feedback?

Jester

I couldn't remember who it was.  I've been taking 308AR from the interweb in large doses lately. 

Back to the buffers.  I'm a believer in buy once cry once but even the higher price on the SOG is still way under Slash's.  Has anyone here had any problems with what I'll call an OEM buffer that was corrected but a Slash buffer or other premium buffer?

Jester

I read a post by Slash stating that some 308 carbine buffers were just cut down .223/5.56 with a weight removed.  Thus being lighter for a more powerful round.  He went on to say that some rifles had experienced broken extractors as a result.  This sounded good to me but what do I know?  I did a little more looking on Fulton Armory's website and they sell 308CAR buffers and springs.  Their's was a little more than the 3 I mentioned previously.  I figure their buffer is a good match for their barrel that's on it's way.  I called FA to ask a few questions.  They said they have no extractor issues with their rifles and that their buffer is the correct weight and made for a .308 cartridge.  I'm sure the Slash buffer is great but for the cost delta I feel it makes sense to go with the buffer from FA.  I'm forecasting being about a month from firing my build so time will tell.  Literally.

Jester