• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

gas vs di

edgecrusher

wondering which would be better for a battle rifle. i currently own a 20" larue obr which i shoot regularly  to 330 yds at my local range and would like to get a 16" or if i get a lucky class 3 permit from my local police chief, a 12". reliability and accuracy are more of a deciding factor than price, and my larue shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yds but is too big for what i want this rifle to be. there are many choices out there and i am looking for all the info i can get. any replies are greatly appreciated, and if anyone is considering the obr, i have nothing bad to say, 100% happy, no failures, ridiculous accuracy and the 16" is a finalist in my di choices.

Nothing wrong with a 16" barrel , it will get out there & have good accuracy.How good is up to the shooter ,ammo & of course the barrel.

As far as DI vs piston , well they both work & both have there goods & bads , that's a choice you will have to make .

In the AR platform I personally prefer DI . The AR platform was designed for it from the start .

No matter what they tell you , piston guns can fowl up & cause problems also.

DI guns have no moving parts in the gas system , unless you concider the Bolt carrier ,part of the gas system.

DI AR rifles are more accurate ,  piston guns getting close , but I do not think they are capable of matching AR DI rifles ..