• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 upper profile question, other questions.

PasoGunner

day 6:03:35 PM PST

Good Evening Gentleman,

First let me say Thank You for all for the info I have gleaned from you all!

Ok so here is where I'm at. I am building a LR308 style DPMS Pattern Rifle. Will be used to hunt Hogs and Range shooting mastly. I do not buy the "cheapest parts" but I try and get the "best Value" No Chinese or EBAY Parts for me! I am VERY patient so I wait for Free Shipping, out of state, Sales and the like to make my dollar go further. I am NOT afraid to spend money if its a part that's the best for my needs! I'm pretty decided on a lot of the parts, its just this High Profile VS. Low Profile Rail deal that's got me scratching my head.

I already have an Ares Armor Signature Billet 80% Lower and milling jig on order (will be here Monday!). I have milled 6- 80% AR15 lowers from Tactical Machining so that's not an issue. All 6 have come out perfect!

I know I want a 18" barrel, I have a few I'm looking at, Faxon, Rainier, Mega, SASS, etc. I found a company down south "JL Billet" that has an 18" barrel with Rifle Gas system (the others are mid gas) which I am very intrigued by. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see where they get there blanks from.

I need a Billet Upper! Ares armor Billet Upper is High Profile. DPMS pattern, its $200 which is good. My question is what's the deal with High and Low Profile. I know that I get the rail that matches my upper profile. I don't know if High or Low is that important. Does it really matter? Is it just a aesthetic deal? Is one better than the other? If so why? This is my main hang up on this build!!

Lower parts I will probably get from Ares Armor and use a different trigger than their mil-spec (ALG ACT to match all my other rifles) that comes in their LPK. Also I will be using a Magpul Pistol grip to match the grips on my AR15's so it feels similar. I am not a huge guy so length of pull is a consideration in case I use a Fixed stock. I am trying to see what you guys would recommend on a buttstock as well. I use Magpul MOE or CTR an my Ar15 builds so far. I don't like the look of the PRS (if its the best I can get used to it!) , I do like the UBR from Magpul. I'm thinking Stealth Grey grip and buttstock. I also ready some things on the LUTH buttstock. Maybe a adjustable stock would work? I am completely open to ideas on a buttstock. Keep in mind I DO NOT have gorilla arms, LOL. I was thinking of having the rail and upper Cerrakoted in Burnt Bronze. The company that has the barrel I'm calling on sells Uppers and Rails "in the white" so coating them would be eazzy pezzy. Their upper is a Low Profile. They make all their stuff in house and looks pretty sweet.

Muzzlebrake will probably be an A2 style for now. Im looking at SWFA Tactical Fixed power riflescope. My son just installed an SWFA on his Hunting Rifle and he loves it. Seems I've heard good things and seems to be a good value.

Well that's kind of where I'm at. Can anyone shed a little light on my situation.

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions or tips. I may be way off base and if I am I know someone will smack me down! I welcome any help.

Thanks in advance Guys. I appreciate all your knowledge

PasoGunner

DPMS & only DPMS has at least three different rail heights on there upper receivers . One is their Target high rail & no Hand guard rail will match up to it , because of how high  it is . Their" High "rail upper is pre 2009 , many after market Upper receivers make theirs like that . The" low "rail height is DPMS's  post 2009 & some , like Tactical Machining make theirs to those spec's .

If you go to the DPMS section there is an explanation & photo's of the differences , If you want your hand guard rail to match up with the Upper Receivers rail you have to match them up , High or Low . Also the Armalite AR 10 's rail height is a little different height then the DPMS, so more confusion for you .

Edited by survivalshop