• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help me pick a barrel

Jester

So my 308 quest started when I heard about a rifle on sale around Thanksgiving that I could change a thing or 2 on to make what I wanted.  That has progressed to having about half of a rifle in parts inbound via Big Brown Truck.  I now have major tiredhead trying to select a barrel.  Supposed to be simple since I'm building right?  I am now asking for help with this process.  I am looking for an 18" heavy or HBAR profile, not a bull/varmint.  I'm kinda narrowed down to SI Defense or Fulton.  The DPMS SASS at JSE would be an option as well but they are out of stock.  The SI looks and sounds nice but Fulton has been around for a while and I've never heard anything bad about them.  Please help me!

Thanks

Jester   

That Rainier is nice.  I'm assuming since it says DPMS but only has an Armalite selection that a DPMS version is available.  I was leaning towards a mid length but was hoping to come in closer to $300 than $400.  Very nice tube that I hadn't considered but it's on the list now.

Thanks

Jester

Shoot branson1369 a pm. He has some barrel stuff going on related to the Mega MA-TEN group buy stuff. It might be a little more money but I think youll be pleased.

Fulton Armory is always a solid choice if what you want meets what they have to offer. With Rainier youll need to check regularly, daily. The DPMS barrel stock level seems to have dropped off a bit everywhere.

I'll check in with Branson1369 to see what he has going on.  I think as far as an off the shelf tube I'm down to Fulton and SI.  I like the profile of the SI over the Fulton but I know I can't go wrong with Fulton.  I'm really thinking that since I'm just a suburban commando that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between either. 

I know Fulton is good stuff.  Not to be negative but, is there anything bad to know about SI?

Thanks

Jester

I just got my 18 inch Standard barrel from blackhole weaponry. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but It's going to be together in like the next 2 or 3 weeks.

They aren't fast (I think it took a month but I bought from a group buy)...... BUT is pretty and inexpensive. If it shoots half as good as it looks I'm going to be REALLY happy.