• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 Home Built Problemo

txchl

TXCHL      I told you which buffer tube buffer to get....you do not have the proper buffer tube nor buffer right now......

if your stock is a mil spec stock you need this    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-mil-spec-buffer-tube-prod27440.aspx

if your stock is a commercial you need this   http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-commercial-buffer-tube-prod26426.aspx

this is the buffer you need ..the carbine one    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/buffers-prod42991.aspx

as for as the buffer and bcg not making contact..you might try a buffer pad...could give you some extension so the bcg and buffer make contact for cheap....it would take some machining  on the pad...reduce the radius of the pad so it sticks out past the retainer pin...if you dont it wont help....or shave off out edge of buffer where it contacts pin or get the tubbs cws insert

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-buffers/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-buffer-pad-prod19699.aspx    

and while you are shopping get a new ar308 car buffer spring       Wash

Edited by washguy

If your BCG is moving the Buffer off the retaining pin ,when closing the Upper Receiver onto the Lower receiver when the bolt is in locked breach , there should be no way the Buffer is causing the Retaining pin to bend .

Is the Barrel Nut tightened to spec's ?

We have seen a lot of this condition here & it still may be your problem , but & I mean But , Those rifles we have seen having this issue , have all had the correct components installed . The position of the Retaining pin or Tolerance Stacking , by not using the same Manufacturers Upper & Lower Receivers or an odd ball BC length are possible , but with out the proper components in the rifle , it could be doing things we can only guess at . 

The Buffing system is one issue with this rifle ,that ,from the data you gave us ,is not correct & that's fact , anything else has to be proven to be a contributing or causing ,factor .

I have a Carbine 308 Buffer here if you want it & may have a STD AR 15 Carbine Receiver Extension somewhere also for you , your spring sounds correct for a 308 Carbine , so all you need is the Tube & Buffer , you want them PM me .

Edited by survivalshop

I purchased the buffer you suggested AND the pads.  I believe I have the stacking problem.  I have to have the longer tube for the BC to clear bolt release catch on an empty mag.  I believe I will put the solid gas block and the new buffer & pad and I will be ready.  You guys have been great.  Really.  I will follow up when reassembled/fired.  Thx.

I purchased the buffer you suggested AND the pads.  I believe I have the stacking problem.  I have to have the longer tube for the BC to clear bolt release catch on an empty mag.  I believe I will put the solid gas block and the new buffer & pad and I will be ready.  You guys have been great.  Really.  I will follow up when reassembled/fired.  Thx.

TXC    you must trim the outer edge of the buffer pad so its not contacting the pin...should be easy to do...ive never had to do this and its just an experiment for a cheap fix....so in effect reduce the radius of the pad so the pin still comes in contact with the buffer but not the pad...so when you close it up the pad will contact the bcg and then not contact the pin.. should be.a poor mans tubbs cws it gives the buffer length but not the bcg but it still would accomplish the same thing. The adj gas block will be fine if its on correctly and its opened up and not leaking on the barrel...  our pleasure to help you     Wash

guru

I thought the same when I originally assembled.  If I back it off and try to "center the lip" then my stock is off.  Hell I'm off at least 25 degrees off, but I can't get that crooked to shoot!  LOL.

Edited by txchl

TXC    you must trim the outer edge of the buffer pad so its not contacting the pin...should be easy to do...ive never had to do this and its just an experiment for a cheap fix....so in effect reduce the radius of the pad so the pin still comes in contact with the buffer but not the pad...so when you close it up the pad will contact the bcg and then not contact the pin.. should be.a poor mans tubbs cws it gives the buffer length but not the bcg but it still would accomplish the same thing. The adj gas block will be fine if its on correctly and its opened up and not leaking on the barrel...  our pleasure to help you     Wash

Wilco, Wash  you guys have a good weekend.  Raining here, ain't complaining about that.

The reason you can't get the BCG far enough back is the Buffer thats shown in your rifle is an inch longer then spec's for a 308 Carbine Buffer , so it will bottom out in a std AR 15 , receiver extension & will not permit the BCG to come back far enough in recoil . We have found here , that even small out of spec dimensions of parts can cause some strange things in these 308AR's , the forum is full of some of the issues .

I don't know where you got that Receiver Extension you have on there , but something is just not right about it , as has been brought up . 

• 6 years later...