• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

area between rear take down and fire control pocket... required?

AC_DC

Quick question for the experts here.  If the 80% lower already has the rear take down area milled for the rear lug, is it alright to just mill the fire control pocket?  Will there be any functionality issues?

For reference, I've read this can be done with AR-15 builds (https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=675681), but I'm not sure if this is also true for 308 builds.

Thanks!

example.jpg

That's a very nice looking job.  I did two 308 lowers with the 80%Arms jig using a router.  What kind of tool and/or jig are you using?  I'm not the guru on these things, but I strongly expect to do more of them.  The rear shelf was real easy to do, but I don't know why you would need to cut out more than you already have, so long as the fire control group fits in the hole and works okay, although I've never seen it done that way.

I suspect I'd cut it out just because that's the way I've always seen it.  I'm not big on re-inventing the wheel.  My 80% lower did not have the rear area already milled out.

Edited by slugger43

• 4 years later...

Really late to this and I’m sure probably nobody watching this but most lowers I’ve seen from factory’s I.E. colt,Springfield armory, century arms, Daniel Defense etc... only have the two separate pockets. It’s probably not going to net much gain but I’d imagine leaving that material in place would make a more rigid lower which equals accuracy/better functionality. Just my thoughts tho.