• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I am Spartacus!!!

benjammin

So yesterday I took part in my first competition of the year, a 22 lr slow fire prone event for 100 and 200 yards.  I tried out my newly acquired, slightly used Savage Mark 2 with the fluted heavy barrel wearing a Leapers AccuSwat 8-32 x 56mm telecsopic sight.  I had sighted it at 50 yards after buying it off my brother in law, one of the other competitors at the event.  Recalibrating for the 100 yard course using Wolf Match Extra ammo, I unloaded my 20 shots and managed a 197 with 10 X's.  This was not the high score at that range, because my brother in law bested 1 point and 2 X's.  Moving to the 200 yard line, I shot a 191 and another 5 X's, this time overtaking my brother in law and all other takers, taking top prize, and setting a new match record. 

Now the Savage Mark 2 is a fine rifle, and quite a capable tool for the price, and with the Leapers scope I put on it, there was no problem dialing in the target at either range with enough clarity to witness every hole those little Wolf pills put in the black.  We were shooting NRA smallbore targets, so the X being 1 MOA at either range made it quite sporty, even with only a 2-5 mph cross wind.  I must admit I was lucky making adjustments for the wind at least two times to get back on the mark.  In any case, I shot against known experts with much better equipment than I and shooting the top line ammo (Eley Tenex and such).  So I am quite satisfied that my performance was up to the task.  Of course, the twenty dollar prize bought lunch for slightly miffed brother in law, while affording me a day's braggin' rights.

Yep, lots of fun, and challenging.  1 MOA is the same whether you are shooting 50 yards or 1,000, except for the forces acting on the bullet during flight time. 

Knowing how to read the wind etc. at 200 yards shooting subsonic 22 lr is as critical as it is shooting 223 or even 308 at extended ranges.  The proof for me is how comparable the match scores are for both.  The skills required to do it well are fairly consistent.  The big difference for me is simple economics.  Even with reloading and fanatically frugal shopping for components, I will never be able to get close on cost shooting high power compared to shooting rimfire. 

I acknowledge the importance of regular practice/competition with my centerfire guns in keeping my skills up to snuff, because there are differences that have to be accounted for that won't show up shooting rimfire alone.  But there is still great value in shooting what some would call the "kiddie" guns, otherwise why would it be such a popular event?

Oh, I'm with ya on the rimfire, big time.  I can take my kid out to the range on a weekend, and not even care if I blow through a 550 bulk pack with him.  Having it set me back $22 is alot better than what I would have spent on 5.56...    Great stuff for him to learn on.  <thumbsup>