• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Block - setscrew vs clamp on

Chewie9190

I've heard theory that the set screw version can add minuscule points of stress at the 6 o'clock of the barrel. For EXTREME accuracy searchers, this theory holds weight.... I don't believe that crap.

I buy whatever is available, or whatever my build needs. I've used both and see no difference. Maybe one day I'll get set up to do my own set screws. That'll be by ultimate decision... Not because it's "better" but because it just looks "cleaner".  

I've got clamped, set screws, and pinned. Never had an issue with any of them and I don't baby anything. I think Robo hit the deciding factor for me, if the barrel has a dimple I'm going with the set screw for the clean look. Without a dimple and I'm getting the clamp style just because I haven't spent the money on a jig yet, even though they are pretty cheap;

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57_129

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious what your thoughts are, which type do you prefer setscrew or clamp on gas blocks and why? What are experience’s with either?

I've got all three.  No problems.  Then again I'm not a precision match-grade shooter neither ... LOL 

Anyone know of a jig available to help drill the two pin holes for the A1/A2 front sight gas block?

A bit pricy, you might want to have someone like ADCO do it for you unless you plan on doing several.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BRDE-Fixture-for-Drilling-Pinning-Front-Sight-Base-p/brdejig3.htm

http://brdengineering.com/products/front-sight-base-fsb-jig

Thanks again.  I'm already on BCM's mailing list for whenever this may come back in stock.  BCM has been out of them for a long time now.  BRD Engineering shows about the same thing @ $50.00 more.  I think it might be worth a try.  Not a whole lot of folks around here perform this service, or at least they don't advertise it.

Thanks again.  I'm already on BCM's mailing list for whenever this may come back in stock.  BCM has been out of them for a long time now.  BRD Engineering shows about the same thing @ $50.00 more.  I think it might be worth a try.  Not a whole lot of folks around here perform this service, or at least they don't advertise it.

Correction ... $25.00 more.