• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for a good first time 7.62 AR

AR_Addict

Hey everyone.

I have been looking at buying a 7.62 AR for awhile, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what would be a good AR to start with.

I was hoping to find one that is accurate, durable and at least semi affordable.  Isn't that always the magic combination  ;) ?

Looking forward to your help!

Welcome. Besides your previous stated purchase points, what else are you looking for? Do you have ar experience, regardless the caliber? I would start by deciding exactly what you like, then set a budget, and make a list. Do you know what the end use will be? Like it's smaller bretheren, size matters. Then its the optics and other goodies. Sorry, that probably didn't help <dontknow> <lmao>

Alas no, I have no AR experience past reading everything about them I can find.  Oh, yeah, and playing with everyone I can find at Gander Mountain  <laughs>

Actually, I want a gun that is tough enough to take hunting in the lovely local swamplands, AND give me good groupings on the range.

Plus I think AR's are cool looking ;) .

DPMS rifles are a good start point. Handfull of models to choose from....Panther Sportical will probably be lowest price entry level gun.$800-$900  .LR series $1100-1200...The Remington R25 you see at Dicks and Gander Mnt. are made by DPMS, your paying little extra for a paint job..Guys I work with that have bought them say they're very accurate, reliable.......after that, sky's the limit on what you wanna spend and build.......Oh, and once you buy one, your gonna want another and another..So when it starts,don't say you weren't warned... :D....happy shootin and welcome to the club...

I really like my Bushmaster ORC .308, which is basically a DPMS gun with some Bushmaster specific features (both companies owned by The Freedom Group/Cerberus Capital). I've upgraded it with a few select parts, but my total outlay is still under $1500. Of course, it'll shoot fine as configured from the factory. In particular, I like the 4150CMV chrome lined barrel and bore, which is a step up from the 4140 non chrome lined barrels typically used by DPMS at this price point. Note that the upper receiver is the new lower DPMS-standard height, which is .060" lower than previous uppers. This will affect which freefloating railed handguards you can use if you want the top rails to line up perfectly.

Upgraded parts for my rifle include:

- milspec receiver extension (I've standardized on milspec across the board on my ARs)

- Magpul MOE handguard

- Magpul MIAD pistol grip

- Magpul CTR stock

- Armalite 0.750" clamp-type FSB

- BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle

- Geissele SSA two stage trigger

The rifle is a good shooter - no malfunctions to date with West German DAG ('92), FN 144gr, and Magtech 150gr. I don't normally shoot for groups, but I'd estimate the gun is capable of 1.5-2MOA shooting surplus, closer to 1-1.5MOA shooting match rounds.

moe308_rt2.jpg

i would say that you should focus yourself in the 16 or 18 inch barrel range, only because you'll be traversing some terrain that could make a longer gun more difficult to travel with. either should allow plenty of accuracy for kill shots, groups tight enough for that. oh, btw, you'll start at one and slowly crave another to fill a need you never quite knew you had and before you know it it's time for a bigger safe. <laughs>

I like that ORC.  I like that DPMS.  I like that... oops, the bank guy is frowning at me.  :o

I think I may do some more looking into both of them.  I was actually thinking about those two before, along with the RockRiverArms varmint model.

And I know about hobbies like this, I have 17 dogs!  I also love potato chips, and everything else a person can't have just one of ;) .