• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Questions on a dpms lr308

So I traded for a LR-308 (24 inch bull barrel) few weeks ago.

The gun is factory built and unfired when I received it. I have shot the gun (about 75 rounds), and no issues have come up, none. What is interesting to me is the weight of the buffer at 2.1 ounces, and the coil count on the spring is 27 coils. The gun doesn't throw brass very far no matter if I'm using 147gr all the way up to 180gr, cheap or expensive it's about the same. There is not much recoil to this gun. I'm just looking for info on how to improve the gun. Yes, I know, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

2.1 oz. is kinda light , what type stock is on this rifle ?

Improve it ? depends on what you mean or use you want to use it for . Rifle may loosen up some with a higher round count , but if its ejecting & chambers another round , the ejection distance is fine . All three of mine , drop them only a few feet away . 

All mine have Rifle length gas systems , what system is yours ? 

The best thing I did for My DPMS LR308 , for accuracy, was replace the awful stock trigger with a Geissele 2 stage trigger. It is not a drop in but not too bad to install, it came with really good instructions .   Or if you wish you could replace the original with a Timney single stage drop in trigger. I would like to trade my spare Geissle 2 stage spare (in the original package) for a Timney drop in , just because I prefer a single stage drop in.

2.1 oz. is kinda light , what type stock is on this rifle ?

Improve it ? depends on what you mean or use you want to use it for . Rifle may loosen up some with a higher round count , but if its ejecting & chambers another round , the ejection distance is fine . All three of mine , drop them only a few feet away . 

All mine have Rifle length gas systems , what system is yours ? 

I mostly want it to be a bench gun. So as low of recoil as possible. I am including pics based on length and weight of both the buffer and spring, though I don't know the pull weight of the spring. 

IMG_20160129_122450.jpg

IMG_20160129_122550.jpg

IMG_20160129_122820.jpg

IMG_20160129_122619.jpg

IMG_20160129_123004.jpg

The Buffer is the correct length , but the weight is off a little , should be around 3.325 oz. , at least the ones I have are . The Spring length should be around 11 1/4" , with 29 coils .

I have seen advertised 308AR DPMS Carbine Buffers listed as 2.25 oz. , but not sure if thats a miss print or what , but its wrong for a 308AR Carbine.

Some how I don't believe you have a Factory built DPMS rifle or if you do , someone messed up or messed with it . Your Receiver shows it was not sold as just a stripped Lower Receiver , but I have one the same way & its not a factory built rifle , because I built it . I also have one that shows that it was sold as a stripped Receiver .

There would be a " K " in the ser. # if it was a Receiver only 

The Buffer is the correct length , but the weight is off a little , should be around 3.325 oz. , at least the ones I have are . The Spring length should be around 11 1/4" , with 29 coils . 

This is exactly what weird me out. The guy told me it was stock, and it was never fired, and I checked, never fired! The spring length is exactly 11 inches. And I believe it was 27 coils. This thing does not kick hard, I'm wondering if I could get a slightly heavier buffer and get an even lighter recoil, of course I would have to watch for cycling issues, but that goes without saying. 

Not sure the 24" HB came with a collapsible stock , but at some time it could have or the Upper & Lower were bought separately , hard to tell .

If its not beating the rifle or you up , why change anything , as long as it works . Probably doesn't kick hard because of the Bull 24" Barrel , more then anything else .

Not sure the 24" HB came with a collapsible stock , but at some time it could have or the Upper & Lower were bought separately , hard to tell .

If its not beating the rifle or you up , why change anything , as long as it works . Probably doesn't kick hard because of the Bull 24" Barrel , more then anything else ... 

Honestly, curiosity just gets the better of me. I suspect the long barrel has a big play in the recoil. But, also, it does not appear that the gun originally came with a collapsible stock. 

When I ordered my RRA standard operator I asked for a collapsible stock guy was surprised but it was do able,don't think that was a common add on.I'm a fan.Just a thought Advance Armament breakout http://www.advanced-armament.com/BRAKEOUT-2-51T-Compensator_p_650.html is good for reduced recoil.Just my 2 mags.