• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite Super SASS 308

JudahBenHur

Hi everyone.  I would like to pick your brains about a certain rifle... the Armalite Super SASS .308.  I picked up a used one for a real steal (I think). I don't care about the mag issue. I feel like I've been loading plastic pmags for the last decade and I actually really enjoy loading real deal metal mags. I'm using the gun with an AAC SDN-6.  I'm curious what kinds of loads have worked well with this setup (or similiar ones) and I'm curious if people have been able to achieve MOA accuracy with a similiar setup. Yes, I would have rather of done direct thread in hindsight but it's the suppressor I currently have to work with. Also, I know much has changed since this rifle came out so I would like to know general thoughts on this rifle as it stands in 2016 in a world of other AR-10 style platforms. 

Welcome. A good friend has one but hasn't got his ATF ok yet on the suppressor. The rifle itself is a fine piece of equipment, though a bit heavy. Are you looking for subsonic load data? Or just general load data? With that barrel, start out with something in the 165-175 grain range for standard loads.

That is a good round to start with. With that rifle, have your friend experiment with a "ladder". Adjust the powder load in very small increments up and down until you find the load that best fits that particular rifle. The SASS is capable of astounding accuracy, you just need to find what the individual rifle likes best for dinner, so to speak. Make sure he takes about 10% off any recommended load, however, just to have a safe starting point.

Edited by Sisco

On April 27, 2016 at 9:37 PM, JudahBenHur said:

Hi everyone.  I would like to pick your brains about a certain rifle... the Armalite Super SASS .308.  I picked up a used one for a real steal (I think). I don't care about the mag issue ... 

... Also, I know much has changed since this rifle came out so I would like to know general thoughts on this rifle as it stands in 2016 in a world of other AR-10 style platforms.

I think your ArmaLite stacks up well in the current world of 308 ARs. Normally for someone today buying their first, the magazine issue is important but you've taken that off the table. For others the 1950s ArmaLite waffle/SR-25/PMAG magazine has advantages - and of course for people who already have a B-Series ArmaLite it makes sense to get another B-Series.

Weight is an advantage for some people, others want to keep it down but that's up to you.

Another thing, in today's world how do ArmaLite AR-10 rifles compare to other 308 ARs? Well, I just compared many models, looking for a lightweight carbine and narrowed it down to a PSA PA-10, S&W M&P10, DPMS GII and ArmaLite Defender AR-10A and went with the ArmaLite. All had plenty of positives and some negatives but the ArmaLite was very competitive in features, weight and price. I'm glad I bought it. I bought the right one for me. So did you!

Sounds good. I am a fan of the DPMS Recon g2. Seen some reviews that said it will shoot MOA with the right load and shooter. That's impressive for a 16 inch lightweight AR10 platform. In truth I got that Armalite Super SASS with a cheap scope and Burris XTR rings used for $1250. They didn't know what they were selling. I was honest and said to them, "you know this is a super SASS right? They kind of just shrugged. I left with the gun wondering if they thought that I was calling the gun "sassy" or something. Oh well.

You got a deal friend. What I might suggest is what another forum member did. He bought a second B model Armalite upper in a standard weight 16" barrel. He can interchange uppers depending on, in his case, what the mission is. Light and accurate, or heavier and very accurate out to 600+ meters. Gives him a lot of flexibility.

Edited by Sisco

1250? You got a steal my man.

I've had mine for years. And I'd stand her up against any other precision AR style rifle out there. Mine loves FGMM 168 BTHP. She'll chew on them all day long and get right around MOA. She'll outshoot the shooter (me) most of the time.

SASS_4.jpg

Rsquared...my setup is very similiar. I swapped out the cheaper scope and put on a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15. Yeah, I'm pumped about doing more with the gun. Did you ditch the PRS for any particular reason? I've I'd the UBR for other builds but haven't actually had my hands on one (or cheek on one).

Didn't ditch it. I built this one. At the time of this pic, I was waiting on a PRS stock. I've since swapped it out and the UBR went to one of my AR-10 carbines. The UBR is a great stock though. Heftier than most, but a great stock. It balances out the entire build pretty good on the carbine that it went to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's mine. :)

5C669A89-F9AF-451A-BB79-E21162ADE8D5-867

I really never got into the suppressor line of things due to paperwork and ATF hoops to jump through but I went with an SASS in the event I ever do decide to get into them.  So far I've been getting my best performance with Sierra 168 grain BTHP match bullets over 43.0 grains of IMR 4895, a CCI BR-2 match primer and a USGI case.  It's been about 1 MOA but still not outshooting her main rival, an M1A National Match built into a USMC DMR clone.  That rifle using the same components but with a 43.0 grain charge of BLC-2 (I need to color the tips on each round to ensure I don't mix them up) will go 3/4" groups any day and on a good day when I bring my A-game, I've gotten 1/2" groups at 100 meters. 

AE84EFB5-371C-4158-BBF9-988DC6C13355-325

In any case, both rifles do an excellent job.  The buck I took with my DMR in 2011 was 423 meters away and the buck I took just this last fall with my AR-10 SASS was a measly 375 meters.  Yeah, I know but you got to take the shots you are presented with. :embarrassed:  In both cases though, it was a one-shot-dead-right-there shot so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. 

26EF09AA-1BB2-4C68-9220-9E8EEE4E0BFA_zps

ED3A582F-3ACB-4A19-A5E3-898E3D3D0F9A_zps