Tony b

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wash, 

I ordered that barrel, a aero .750 low profile gas block, and a mid length gas tube.now I just need a hand guard and barrel nut I think. I would like a non tacticiol looking one if possible,  is there anything else I am missing for the barrel install? Thanks for all the help so far.

Tony    Check out this one    http://www.apexhandguard.com/

ive got one on one of mine...very light...good feel. very well made...just what the doctor ordered .....most hand guards will come with their own barrel nut...apex barrel nut you have to buy it there ala carte.....you have a DPMS claw for the upper?   torque wrench (cheapo) will work....some moly lube ...pin starter punch for the gas tube?       Wash

Edited by washguy

I got my ballistic advantage barrel and the low profile gas block and mid length gas tube yesterday. The barrel was pretty loose, and the gas tube was too big to fit in the gas block, and was wondering if both things were normal or not lol.

i found a good deal on a 12.5" Jp enterprise handguard so I picked that up too, starting to get excited to see my rifle all built.

35 minutes ago, Tony b said:

If I sand the tube to fit the gas block would that be okay?

Whoa whoa....     put up some pics of that stuff... lets take a look before the butchering starts    :fullauto: Wash

and you slid the gb to where the port is and its loose? whats your standard of loose...clamp on screw down?

the gas tubes diameters are different on each end

Edited by washguy

2 hours ago, Tony b said:

the barrel just plopped in the tenon like it would fall out if you turned it upside down, and the gas tube has a flanged end and is to big for the .750 hole in the gas block. Still at work maybe awhile until I get pics 

.750 is 3/4" Did you miss type something? And what caliber is this rifle that has a 3/4" gas tube? Are you building a piece of artillery Tony? #confused

29 minutes ago, Tony b said:

Sorry guys, I was on my phone at work. I have the aero precision low profile gas block I thought the size was .750 for the gas block. The gas tube is normal sized lol but the end that goes into the gas block is belled out and bigger than the ID of the gas block.

Tony ...put down the parts and slowly back away  :laffs: the gas tube end that is belled out is the end that goes into the upper ....the small end goes into the gas block............ the .750 is the journal size of the barrel where the gas port is located..... the barrel slides into the upper and is loose till you tighten it down with a barrel nut.....  :thumbup:   Wash

36 minutes ago, washguy said:

Tony ...put down the parts and slowly back away  :laffs: the gas tube end that is belled out is the end that goes into the upper ....the small end goes into the gas block............ the .750 is the journal size of the barrel where the gas port is located..... the barrel slides into the upper and is loose till you tighten it down with a barrel nut.....  :thumbup:   Wash

Dangit wash I was really hoping he was building a 20MM AR with that .750 gas tube. :)

Edited by beantown

16 hours ago, Tony b said:

Like I said the barrel fit in my 10-22 build was a interference fit, and the sloppy fit or th 308 barrel through me off. I didn't realize the gas tube was belled I only took my m16 a2 down to the handguards back in the day lol

Tony have you ever shot a 308AR? Those M16s we lugged around feel like a pellet gun compared to my LR-308 when ya pull the trigger. What else do you need to put that bad boy together?

Shane

Shane,

This is my first experience with a 308ar, I always wanted one and thought I better hurry up or it would be too late. I just need the Jp enterprise handguard to show up and I'm done, can't wait. I have a old Leopold scope to use and need to decide on the mount, I can upgrade the scope later just want to shoot it asap lol.

Tony   dont wanna bug ya...but...dont do anything in your build that you are not sure of...come here before you start sanding, freezing or torching any of your parts ...you got your claw ? your torque wrench...some moly type grease for the barrel nut?... your punches?you need some blue painters tape applied to the lower where the  mag lever screws down...so it wont scratch your lower opposite side of mag button....and the  small end of gas tube goes into gas block with the hole in the tube lined up with the hole inside gas block...and do not bend the gas tube pin putting it in...take your time         Wash

Edited by washguy

Wash thanks for the reply, I will do that for sure. I promise I am not as dumb as I sounded yesterday lol. I got my plastic revolution claw in the mail today, plan on getting a cheap harbor freight torque wrench, I have a jar of never seize thought that would work but can get some thing else if that doesn't. I have a set of starrett metal punches but would like to find some plastic non marring ones. If I have any questions I will be sure to ask.