• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

starting my first build

Tony b

7 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

The Tubb's Flat wire spring will work with a DPMS 308 type Buffer , in this case a 308 Rifle Buffer . Now you might ask these Armalite owners if there is a AR 10 specific 308 Buffer for the Armalite Rifle Receiver Extension , the Tubb's Spring should work with both types of rifles .

I just own & work on junk DPMS  Rifles :lmao:

Yes in his video DT mentions it works in both AR10 and SR25 pattern rifles.

So far I have an AP M5 receiver set, an AP LPK, a DPMS (I believe) Rifle length 308AR Buffer tube, the DT spring I just scored, and a Young Mfg 308 BCG.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may need to start a new thread for my build now? Not sure I guess lol, after I can save up for the rest of the build I need to pick out a barrel and handguard. I am not sure yet, but am now thinking now of a 18 inch barrel, a Non tactical round tube handguard. Not sure if what gas block and tube to go with I guess when I get the money for the barrel I will be serious about asking for opinions.

Edited by Tony b

1 minute ago, Rsquared said:

Well, I was gonna say something.....but I decided not to. :laffs:

Well , you did !  :lmao:

The Barrel is a big part of a any build , It all depends on what you want to do with the rifle .

18" is not a bad choice , I just sold my 18" that had a Hybrid 18" Criterion , S/S Nitrated Barrel , Great shooting Barrel . Of course , my other two 308AR's have Criterion's on them also. 

16" is a good choice , mine shoots great ,  rifle gas S/S . I really don't think you need any longer then that for normal use , Target shooters might need something longer . I have a 20" HB that is a Tac driver.

So I see in searching around there are a few relatively unknown products that are universally liked, are a good value, and work well, the MechArmor Charging Handle for instance, is there a rifle length gas set up or adjustable gas block that falls into that category by chance?

And as I am doing a rifle length tube and buffer, is a rifle length gas port/system the right call?

This is intended as a target/LR set up.

I have had several Criterion barreled AR's SurvivalShop, great stuff!

RRS    these 308's get heavy fast and the barrel is part of the weight problem....most of mine are 16" and ive got one 18"...get you a 18" and a middy gas system....dont get all caught up in the pressure dwell BS...if you have a middy you are gtg...and you get to cover up the nasty looking gas block with a handguard

Wash

18 minutes ago, washguy said:

RRS    these 308's get heavy fast and the barrel is part of the weight problem....most of mine are 16" and ive got one 18"...get you a 18" and a middy gas system....dont get all caught up in the pressure dwell BS...if you have a middy you are gtg...and you get to cover up the nasty looking gas block with a handguard

Wash

10-4, thx.

20 minutes ago, Tony b said:

I'm starting to think that rrs is pretty rude I have asked him twice to get off of my thread now but whatever.

Tony   im sure RRS will start his own thread.....but as far as rude...man you dunno what rude is around here  ...just stick around here...relax sit back and enjoy all the train wreck threads.....but never any by me   Ha   :lmao:       Wash

train.jpg

Edited by washguy

16 hours ago, Tony b said:

Rr it is all good, I just lost a family member yesterday and am probably being a Bettie White snickers commercial guy, your build sounds pretty solid looking forward to seeing it.

Naw man it was me, I was reading the posts that addressed my Q's and somehow the others escaped my attention, my bad, thanks for putting up with me so patiently.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss, Godspeed.

Good luck with your build!!

Thanks for the kind words rr and everyone, I am just as excited as you to get my build finished, I can't wait until I can go to the range with mine. If you were closer I would invite you to go sight yours in with me. Can't wait to see a picture of your build, my wife says I am obsessed but I am just focused on my build lol.