• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PWS Mk2 & Mk1

EZTundra77

So I'm new to the world of AR rifles.  I'm a long time fan of the AK platform which is what led me to PWS.  I really like the gas piston design.  Here are my first 2 Stoner variants.  On the bottom is a PWS Mk116 Mod 1 that i picked up heavily discounted as soon as the Mod 2 series came out.  Above, you'll find it's big brother, a PWS Mk216 that was not on sale in any way shape or form.  I actually had a bit of a hard time finding it at first.  The Mk1 has a Trijicon MRO on a Scalarworks QD mount.  The full cowitness aligns perfectly with Magpul Pro BUIS.  It also has BCM keymod Mod 3 vert grip, & a Seekins angled foregrip.  The Mk2 is pictured just out of the box, but now has a BCM std. vertical grip, Troy 45˚ Offset BUIS, and a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 Zero Stop w/ MOAR reticle. I chose a Larue LT-111 OBR QD mount.  I've never used a QD mount successfully with a .308 rifle.  We'll see how it goes.  I've heard mixed reviews on the LT-104.  Some say it doesn't hold up to hard field use on a .308.  But the 111 is supposed to do better with larger calibers.  I also chose the 111 because it has no MOA built into the mount.  With a 16" barrel, I dont plan on shooting father than 600 yards.  If I want to punch out farther, I have a different tool for that.  I'll submit a pic showing the Mk2 with gear installed.

Anyways, the 5.56 is a really nice plinking gun and for potential self defense in a SHTF scenario.  Though I do have some TTSX 77gr that would certainly down a deer with decent shot placement.  The 7.62 is for hunting.  I like 168 Triple X TTSX best since it's devastating and I try and avoid lead in my food.   But in a pinch, I have a bunch of 165gr Federal Vital Shok and 180gr Fed. Power shok.  

Anyways, like I said, I'm new to AR's.  Any tips you guys have are more than welcome.  

IMG_2855.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, sketch said:

Chirp! Haha nice sticks have you broke em in yet? Im not fluent with pws. 

Depends what you mean by "broke em in."   I did textbook barrel break ins on them.  1 shot-clean-5 shots-clean-10 shots-50 shots-clean.  I don't think break in is necessary on QPQ barrels like stainless or carbon/chrome barrels.  But I do it out of habit.  I put about 200 rounds through the Mk116 with lots of stovepipes.  PWS paid to bring it back, replaced the bolt and smoothed out all of the gas block, the BCG, action etc.  Their cust service was amazing.  I got the rifle back inside of 2 weeks.  Cycles flawlessly now.  I have about 500 rounds through it so I would call it broke it.  The Mk216 had zero issues out of the box.  I broke i the barrel but I have less that 100 rounds through it so far so I would not call it broken in yet.  

PWS makes great products IMHO.  High quality QPQ/isonite barrels. They started off as an AK variant company, which led them to start doing gas piston AR's.  As you know, there is much debate over piston driven vs. direct impingement.  I prefer piston guns because they run cooler and cleaner.  Anyways, PWS is the most affordable way to get into higher end piston guns.  They got famous for their 7.62x39 AR and their FSC timed compensators.  I believe there are better guns out there but they are nearly double the price from what I've seen.  

10 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Whoa! Don't know how I missed this one. I've always been a big PWS fan. I almost grabbed a Mk2 recently too. I really like  their old 107 model but I may grab something bigger... who knows???

I was tempted to get a 7.62x39.  PWS started there.  But I have so much .308 already stocked that I went with the big guy.  I cant tell you how much easier the Mk2 is to shoot than my Saiga .308.  I love Russian rifles, but there's a lot to be said about the ergonomics, weight, and recoil reduction of a good AR.  

As for PWS in general, I am impressed with their rifles, but I am even more impressed with their customer service.  Nobody want to unbox a rifle and get stovepipes.  But it does provide an opportunity to test the company's ability to problem solve.  These guys were top notch.  Instantly sent me a shipping return label and emailed me notifications within a few days keeping me updated on status.  Had it back to me within 2 weeks.  

Took a while for me to break in the barrel.  Working through FGGM and Black Hills ammo, the rifle was capable of shooting MOA and near MOA and holding it out to 200 yards (my longest range available regularly).  Handloading has earned me a load with Barnes 130 grain TTSX that is lights out 1/2" load at 100 yards using varget.  150s, 155s, and 168s are just so-so with a lot of effort put in for not too much return.