• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

needing your advise

wilky

Hi

I am really interested in building my own 308 AR for hunting deer here in utah and to be honest i have no idea where to start .

it would be great if you can give me a list of what i'll need in the way of parts and a rough amount of how much it is going to cost me in parts , and wheres the best place to get them

thank you

wilky

p.s great site here realise i have a lot to learn

Welcome to the forum wilky,

First off, what I say is based on my experience and others may give you different opinions. I would tell you that if your interested in getting into a .308 AR by the least expensive route, I'd advise you to look for a new or used Armalite or DPMS rifle. Unlike the AR 15's were you may be able to build one cheaper than you can buy (debatable), the .308 platform AR components don't seem to be as reasonably priced. The main reasons to build vs buy, is to get a configuration that's commercially unavailable instead of buying a gun and swapping out parts, or for the satisfaction of building your own gun. I would guess for a hunting AR you'd want an 18-20" barrel and you probably don't need an expensive railed handguard. beyond that, the stock you go with would be a matter of personal preference and local regs, (not a problem in Utah I'm guessing) Good luck. The members here will be happy to help you spend your money.

As was said above, you can get a new or used AR 308(or any other cal. ) with less money than you can build ,but when you build ,you make it your way .

While you can generally hunt with any AR 308 , with few mods.

You also have to remember weight of a AR 308 is going to be more than most bolt actions .

If ya want to build one , we are here for ya , read up on the builds here.

Welcome, wilky.  <thumbsup>  You said you wanted to build one, so that's where my suggestions will go.

What kind of distances do you have in Utah?  What kind of accurate range are you looking for out of the hunting gun?  You can take a 16" barrel out to 5 or 6 hundred yards, accurately, but for hunting specifically, you might be better off with 18" barrel choices for the same ranges (and even more).  Weight will be paramount for a hunting rig, so stick with lightweight barrels - Fulton Armory offers a very nice 18" lightweight cromoly barrel that will do well in a hunting role. 

Fulton also has DPMS-based upper and lower receivers, and their upper receivers are the ones you'd need as far as rail height goes - there's alot of information about this posted here on the site.

Everything else I'd make as light as possible, and I'd free-float the barrel by way of a free floating handguard.  For hunting, one of the better free float handguard options (as far as weight goes) might be the APEX handguard.  I'd run a rifle receiver extension instead of a carbine receiver extension, and simply mount a standard A1-length stock on it.  It doesn't get much lighter than that.  Optic of choice in a good mount, and you should be set.

Let us know what your primary concerns or goals are, and we'll be glad to help out.