• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First .308 AR build

HankBoman

New here and to the .308 AR platform but not the AR platform in general. I've actually built more AR15s and variants than I can remember and finally decided it was time to jump into this pool. Still wondering what I was thinking when I did that. So, my build is actually basically complete minus a few little tweaks here and there. This is actually one of the most streamlined builds I've ever done. Streamlined in the sense that I don't have any leftover/unused parts. I went with an all Aero Precision parts list with the exception of some furniture items and the trigger. I haven't taken it to the range yet which brings me to the point of this post topic. As I mentioned, I've built several AR variants....223/5.56, .300BLK, 9mm, .40 S&W, 6.8 SPC, .458 SOCOM.... and a number of them required some tweaking and tuning here and there on and after the first range trip. I'm trying to keep that to a minimum with this one.

My build has a .308 Win 16" barrel and it is built in a rifle configuration with an M16A2 RE and stock that I've had in a parts box for over two decades. I know that the specification for the buffer is 5.4 oz but that just really seems light to me. Alot of the opinions I've read here (not here literally) and there suggest that the buffer should indeed be heavier, though some suggestions seem excessive. I've seen recomendations of as heavy as 10 oz! My .40 S&W buffer isn't even that heavy. I reload quite a bit so don't tend to shoot much factory ammo. Nearly all of my reloads are in the moderate range as far as published data goes.

So here's my question. What is the consensus here for an ideal buffer weight in the configuration that I describe? Most of the ammo I shoot will be in the 147gr - 168gr range at the slightly higher end of moderate velocities (2400fps - 2600fps). I'll occasionally be shooting some heavier bullets when shooting feral hogs and will probably do some plinking with lighter bullets and possibly cast bullets also. I've got literally a couple pounds of buffers in my parts bins so I can cannibalize one for the tungsten weights if need be or just find the heaviest of the steel weights and put them all together in one buffer. Aero's published buffer weight is 5.6 oz but mine come's in at 5.375 oz so I need to make some adjustments anyway.

Welcomr to the forum.  Buffer weights can vary from one gun to the next and all function well, as mineralman has said.  The buffer spring that you have can also affect function and that many affect the buffer weight that works in your rifle.  However, I am not an expert by any means.  I have just learned through reading the advice of others on the forum.  Someone should be around shortly who can give more specifics. 

H3 weights on a 308 AR run the gun fine, don't have excessive recoil, and don't beat up the gun's internals or parts.  You should find that the 308 rifle buffer weighs the same (or very close) to the H3. 

Gas port size in the barrel is going to have more to do with this than the buffer weight.  If you can get a chance, measure the gas port size and let us know. 16" barrel with rifle gas should have a gas port size right around 0.100". 

Edited by 98Z5V