• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas system & barrel size

MrGare413

Hey guys, Im putting together my first .308 and wanted a few opinions on my choices for barrels.  I have decided to purchase a barrel and BCG through faxon firearms.  Im hung up on the 16" mid length gas vs the 18" rifle length gas barrels they sell.  My goals for this rifle are to keep is light weight, keep recoil down, and obviosly id like it to function normally.   I wont be shooting out pass 500 yards at this time.  this is my first .308 and only have experience with an ar15 in a carbine length.   Ive read a bunch of threads on here with point either direction.  My next step is to call faxon and ask them what they reccomend.  Any imput would be great.  This forum is awesome!

I have an early Kreiger /Criterion 16" HB , with Rifle length Gas system & its a very good shooter . I just sold a 308AR that had their 18" Hybrid barrel & it was a sub MOA shooter .

Here is something for all 308AR builders that they should stick away in their mind somewhere , direct from Criterion ,  but probably is a good guide for other Barrel Makers .

"Please note that although many .308 AR bolt manufacturers advertise their bolt as compatible with DPMS pattern .308 AR rifles, lug and bolt face tolerances often vary widely between different manufacturers (as opposed to the AR-15, where there is a uniform industry standard). Criterion barrels are gauged at the factory with Fulton Armory .308 AR bolts. We have also had success in demo rifle testing with bolts from DPMS and JP Enterprises. If you have any questions regarding bolt compatibility, please email us at contact@criterionbarrels.com."

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Budget.. 

know a few guys with faxon barrels in 5.56 and love them.