• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Measurement please 16" barrel length from receiver to threads

BroncoAZ

I am trying to decide on a rail for my soon to happen 16" build, I don't have any parts in hand yet.  I'm looking at a rail that is 14.87 or 15.5" from SLR.  Can someone measure the distance from the front edge of the receiver to the base of the threads at the end of the barrel?  I want to have a minimum gap between the end of the rail and my Omega suppressor.

Thanks!

I am building a left hand eject AR .308 using the following parts:

Stag Arms left handed build set (lower, left handed upper, left handed BCG), should ship end of July

Ballistic Advantage .308 Modern Series 16 Government Barrel

Micro MOA Govnah gas block with 3 position plate (unsuppressed/suppressed/off)

Armalite AR-10 buffer tube/buffer/spring, Magpul ACS stock

Larue MBT trigger

AXTS 45 degree selector

Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP on Larue LT-158 mount

i have owned a Bushmaster .308 ORC and currently own a S&W M&P-10, but being left handed and left eye dominant I really want a left hand eject rifle for shooting suppressed, Stag is finally making it.  (I will be selling my M&P-10)  I have a Silencerco Saker 762 and Omega 30 both on ASR mounts.  I am going with the 16" to keep the OAL shorter with the suppressor.  I have two built bolt guns in .308 for precision work.

I got this sorted out later today.  I had correspondence with Todd at SLR.  He said the 14.87" rail would be 1/2" short of the thread shoulder on a 16" barrel, and that if my suppressor mount had a gap from the shoulder to the suppressor that I might get away with a 15.5" rail.  I found a thread on ar15.com that says there is .178" of space from the barrel shoulder to the back of the suppressor with the ASR mount.  I'm out of town on vacation or I'd just measure one of mine.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/442164_SR_30_Upper_Foandapos_ed_andamp__Omega_ASR_Inquiry.html#i4281367

This leaves a narrow gap of .048" with a 15.5" rail.  If the gap is too small I can space the mount forward with an Accu Washer muzzle device alignment shims, they range from .060"-.100".   I may go that route anyway to shim the ASR mount if I run the brake mount instead of the trifecta.  Even with the thinnest shim I would think .118" would be enough.

I ordered their 15.5" Ion mlok rail on their Independence Day sale:

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=909

I might've preferred a different model, but this is the only one available in the 15.5" length I want.  I also ordered a Semtry 7 gas block in case the Govnah doesn't fit under the rail.

Will do.  I have a couple other BA barrels that work great (8" .300 blackout, 11.5" 5.56).  I looked at going with the performance series, but the guide on BA's web site discouraged it suggesting the stainless barrels were really only a benefit for competition shooters, price difference was $60.  I plan on running lots of rounds through this barrel including a case of Tula .308, so more durable is better.  Probably won't be assembled until mid august depending on Stag shipping the build kit, I'll have the rest of the parts next week.

I ordered another Stag left handed .308 build set today, I found a 10% off coupon code that worked with the sale price making it $540 for the lower, LPK, left handed upper, and left handed BCG.  In the interest of short OAL I was eyeballing the BA 14" Hansen profile or the 12.5" modern series, my Saker 762 is rated to 12".  Most of the rifles I shoot regularly are SBR and suppressed, but a 308 under 16" may be pointless.  I already have a Sig 556xi Russian 10" SBR that barks pretty good, but I can't run the suppressor due to monumental gas and debris to the face shooting the right handed rifle left handed, nobody offers a new piston to tune the gas properly.  I might try a longer .308 or 6.5 at some point, might as well have the build kit on hand.