• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel and gas system question

Bkolar81

I recently built my first AR15 a few months ago and what can I say...the bug bit me.  I am now starting my first .308AR build and have a few questions.  I picked up an M5E1 builder kit from Aero Precision and I am starting to look for a barrel.  The builder kit came with a Magpul STR stock.  I am looking to go 18 inches on the barrel length with a mid length gas system.  Will I be fine with this setup using a buffer system from heavy buffers?  This build is a little more scary for me since I bought a complete upper for my AR15 when I built it and didn't have to mess with all this parts configuration.  Also I assume I should buy my BCG from the same barrel manufacturer for head spacing right.  Sorry for multiple questions within this post.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bkolar81 said:

No sir I do not have a buffer tube yet.  I assume it is heavier duty and longer than a standard buffer for an AR15. 

With one exception, it's the same as AR15 parts. AR15 Carbine receiver extension (7.000" internal depth) for collapsible stocks - with a special, shorted 308AR carbine buffer and different 308AR carbine buffer spring.  For Rifle-length extensions, it's still an AR15 part, but with 308AR shortened rifle buffer, and a 308AR rifle buffer spring.  The extensions are the same as AR15 parts.  The buffers and springs are NOT the same as AR15 parts. 

The exception is the AR-10 recoil parts - the real, Armalite AR-10 parts.  They use the same buffer spring for AR-10 carbine and rifle, the EA1095 spring. They use the same RIFLE receiver extension as an AR15.  It's the same 308AR rifle buffer (in length, 5.200") as any DPMS-based rifle recoil system.  They use a longer Carbine receiver extension (7 5/8" internal depth), with the EA1095 buffer spring, and a standard AR15 Carbine H3 buffer...  The longer receiver extension allows them to use the AR15 Carbine H3 buffer.

Make sense?  If not, I'll get into it more.