• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Headspace issue

C Funnk

Just got Forster gauges in and checking things out. Broke down the bolt and  it closed on the go, it closed on the no go, but did not close on the field. The barrel is a wilson combat. The bcg is a radical firearms. PRIMARY ARMS was having a sale and picked it up for 90.00( might've wasted 90.00)

I know kind of a crap shoot, but what are the odds it's the bolt and not the barrel, and maybe just best to buy a bcg from Wilson combat also.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

What's the chamber in that Wilson Combat barrel?  And what gauges does WC use?

It's a 308 win chamber. Not sure what gauges they use, I'll have to call and speak with them Monday.Only info from their website was its headspace to a master USGI bolt to .002-.003 tolerance.

We informed another poster in another thread, about HS  & how they could be propriety to the Barrel manufacturer & the poster took offense to it .

We have been saying it here for many years , that Barrel manufacturers use one brand or another or has special Gages made to their spec's . . Build & test .

2 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

We informed another poster in another thread, about HS  & how they could be propriety to the Barrel manufacturer & the poster took offense to it .

We have been saying it here for many years , that Barrel manufacturers use one brand or another or has special Gages made to their spec's . . Build & test .

I think I might've read that. Been trying to read all threads relevant to this issue. May go ahead and order one of their BCGs and run with that. Saw some pics on here and gives me a good guideline when I shoot it.

IMG_1366.PNG

11 hours ago, C Funnk said:

I think I might've read that. Been trying to read all threads relevant to this issue. May go ahead and order one of their BCGs and run with that. Saw some pics on here and gives me a good guideline when I shoot it.

IMG_1366.PNG

That brass with the Cratered Primers looks like it was used in a DPMS GII 308AR, seems they have on early versions of that Model an issue with the Firing Pin hole in the Bolt Face was too large or Firing Pin too small in diameter . Primers are not the only way to diagnose High Pressure loads , the fired case can tell more , with the Case separation being the extreme . Those in the photo above do not show flattened Primers or a hole in them . If they had a hole in the Primer , you may not have seen a flattened primer , because the hole in the Primer would be a pressure relief port .

Head space issues can be very dangerous , of course I don't have to tell you that . 

Edited by survivalshop