• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Nitrating

survivalshop

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I think the deal with bolts is referring to aftermarket nitriding due to the heat treat, still wish he would have came back to the thread and explained a little more on that though. I'm loving the nitrided bolts I have.

I think if a Factory made Bolt is OK , but a used one or an after market one from a manufacturer that did the heat treating , not knowing or setting it up to Nitrate the Bolt , is questionable , same with the Receivers (M14 )

At least thats what I gathered from that one poster ( lysander ) that was doing a good job explaining the Nitrating process & Hardening .

Factory nitriding can be different from aftermarket nitriding.

With factory nitriding, the nitriding process can be worked into the part's overall heat treatment, with aftermarket nitriding, you have to start with a heat treated part and NOT alter its properties.

By the way, barrels are tempered around 850 F to 950 F, so they do not see a change in temper. Which is why after-market barrel nitriding is much simpler.