• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why not many AR10's in F class?

sapper299

Because most F Class guys are 32"-barreled bolt gun snobs.  We've had a few cool F Class guys come through here, though.  Most of the ones that show up here are telling us how we're doing it wrong because it wouldn't win an F Class match...

I think thats nuts and shame on them then. I shoot bolt guns for the most part, but I know that a well built AR based rifle can keep up with most of the field at the matches I shoot. Yea, there are some national level shooters, but most of the rest would do just as well with an AR, at least at mid range. I would agree, a barrel less than 30" at a 1000 yards and your giving up a lot velocity wise so maybe not the best choice, but still doable. That's unfortunate because as a group, just like NM shooting, we need to attract more shooters.

On 2/20/2018 at 3:46 AM, 98Z5V said:

Because most F Class guys are 32"-barreled bolt gun snobs.  We've had a few cool F Class guys come through here, though.  Most of the ones that show up here are telling us how we're doing it wrong because it wouldn't win an F Class match...

And there's the correct answer right there ^^^.

I have a close friend that shoots F class, he does it well, multiple national titles under his belt and to top it off he's a down to earth guy, definitely not your average bolt gun snob. (to blow my own trumpet, I barrelled his current rifle for him that he won one of his titles with), but yes, 98Z5V has it nailed, they are pretty much a breed unto their own.

I keep telling Grant that I'm going to enter next year with my 243 Win AR and stir up the hornets nest, simply for my own amusement:hornet:

Edited by 308kiwi

Although the big AR can shoot very well, but if one wants to win and has the skill set, shooting a semi auto isn't going to do it. The bolt gun with the 30 inch barrel is going to be way to go.

If they made a class where semi autos could compete against each other would be the ticket. That would encourage people to bring their big or Ar-15 out to compete and that would lead to experimentation leading to more accurate rifles, barrels, parts, and etc.

Several years ago I took my big AR set up as match rifle with iron sights to a practice f-class match. Being the only sling shooter, I didn't care if I shot on a f-class target, a black bull is the same size anyway. After we were done, I talked to the F--class guy pulling shooting on the same target, he didn't know at first what rifle I was using. I shot a pretty good score at 600 and he was surprised when we switched out for him to shoot to see a semi auto with irons behind the firing point.