• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt not catching properly

OlDaky

7 minutes ago, OlDaky said:

I took a double check of the box. There was no vented screw in it. I bought the stock right from luth themselves. Starting to wonder if maybe I got a returned one. The only thing in the box was the stock, and the instructions on how to install it. No vented screws, just the ones I pictured* 

This is almost exactly the same issue I had some time ago, only I had a proper vented screw for the buttstock. It's easy enough to fix, Luth will probably provide the correct screw at no charge if you call or email them.

Okay now i'm officially confused.. I was able to get in contact with someone from  luth (On the weekends, this rocks) and I told them what I had. The gal on the phone said my A2 system needs a longer screw... I have an A1 system, and told her I need a shorter screw. She said that was incorrect. What......

5 minutes ago, OlDaky said:

Okay now i'm officially confused.. I was able to get in contact with someone from  luth (On the weekends, this rocks) and I told them what I had. The gal on the phone said my A2 system needs a longer screw... I have an A1 system, and told her I need a shorter screw. She said that was incorrect. What......

YOU...  If you don't have a black plastic 5/8" long buttstock spacer, included with your kit, then you don't have an "A2" stock kit.  If that black plastic 5/8" long buttstock spacer is NOT in your kit, then you have an "A1" stock kit, and need the shorter, vented screw.

She doesn't know what she's talking about.

Please link the info for the people you talked to - I can call  them and find out what the hell they're doing.

Did you have one of these in your kit?...

https://www.google.com/search?q=A2+buttstock+spacer&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjM2tfDsKnaAhUGMawKHUAqBW8Q_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=654

image.thumb.png.a7b11a4f3f1363d7a2478691de39cc55.png

image.png.8d649310731b745eb871d75662df9bb0.png

If you DID, you need the longer vented screw. It you DIDN'T, you need the shorter vented screw, for an "A1 stock."  That spacer, and the 5/8" longer vented screw, are the operational differences between "A1 and A2 stocks."

I'm not mad at you, dude - don't think that.  I'm pissed at vendors that don't know what the fuk they're doing...

We,as a board, suffer this bullshiit daily...  right here...

Edited by 98Z5V

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

YOU...  If you don't have a black plastic 5/8" long buttstock spacer, included with your kit, then you don't have an "A2" stock kit.  If that black plastic 5/8" long buttstock spacer is NOT in your kit, then you have an "A1" stock kit, and need the shorter, vented screw.

She doesn't know what she's talking about.

Please link the info for the people you talked to - I can call  them and find out what the hell they're doing.

I just called their customer support line. At first it said they're only open from Monday to Friday. But then some lady named Kayla answered. And no my kit did not come with that, that is why I was so confused when the bimbo on the other side said I have an A-2 set up. Like what the fuk.

So right now it seems like I need the shorter screw, and a none fucked up buffer body. 

Edited by OlDaky

You called Luth.  You bought from CTD, which sucks a$s.  Your "kit" came from CTD, and they fucked you somehow.

Next Monday, you need to get on the horn again with Luth, and let them in on all the details. You didn't get some "complete kit" from Luth, from CTD - you received some bastardized bullshiit from CTD, cheaper, and wrongly advertised.  It borders on "fraudulent" from CTD - and that should not be a surprise to anyone...

You have a couple issues here - you won'tbe able to make this right with CTD - they don't GAF anymore - you gave them money, and they sent you shiitty product. You received exactly what you clicked on, and they gave it to you.  MAN, did they give it to you, too...

Luth has nothing to do with this, I'm betting.  If they include proper screws in their kits - you didn't receive a full "kit" from them.

At this point, you'rejust fucked on anything free, or being made right by anyone - you just need a screw. 

Which, it looks like, you've been given enough of.

6 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

How many more things you gonna buy from CTD, now, knowing what you know?  I'm just curious...

He only bought the rifle length receiver extension and buffer assembly from CTD.

2 hours ago, OlDaky said:

He said he bought the LuthAR MBA-1 directly from LuthAR.

45 minutes ago, OlDaky said:

I took a double check of the box. There was no vented screw in it. I bought the stock right from luth themselves. Starting to wonder if maybe I got a returned one. The only thing in the box was the stock, and the instructions on how to install it. No vented screws, just the ones I pictured* 

4 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

He only bought the rifle length receiver extension and buffer assembly from CTD. He said he bought the LuthAR MBA-1 directly from LuthAR.

That explains all of it then.  Quite clearly. 

CTD fucked him, and Luth has nothing to do with it, at all. 

He won't get a reply from CTD on this, and contacting Luth any further - it's not their problem.

That explains that fucked up 5.5" rifle buffer, too...  

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

How many more things you gonna buy from CTD, now, knowing what you know?  I'm just curious...

I'm gonna buy complete rifles and kits from them since I'm so satisfied with my purchase. (sarcasm) already talked to my credit card company, they're gonna cancel the charge due to this. They've gotten other complaints. 

Edited by OlDaky

59 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That explains all of it then.  Quite clearly. 

CTD fucked him, and Luth has nothing to do with it, at all. 

He won't get a reply from CTD on this, and contacting Luth any further - it's not their problem.

That explains that fucked up 5.5" rifle buffer, too...  

as stated I bought my stock directly from luth. It came with the weird screws. I checked the buffer body with other ones at my local gun shop, they all were the same length of mine. Not to sure what is going on here.

2 hours ago, OlDaky said:

as stated I bought my stock directly from luth. It came with the weird screws. I checked the buffer body with other ones at my local gun shop, they all were the same length of mine. Not to sure what is going on here.

Let's unscramble this and get you going; you don't need the extension, just forget it. You do need the short vented screw that Robocop posted. Go ahead and get you one of those.

Next is your buffer, it's fully .250" too long, and needs to undergo the following changes:

#1. Drive the roll pin out.

#2. Remove the rear plug and bag it along with the guts of the buffer, they will dump right out.

#3. Cut 1/4" off the rear of the buffer tube as cleanly as you possibly can, removing any burrs that result from doing so.

#4. Measure the distance between the shoulder on the rear plug and the through-hole for the roll pin.

#5. Use that measurement to re-drill the roll-pin hole in the buffer body. Roll pins are standard imperial sizes so simply use the appropriate drill bit, mine was 1/16".

#6. Re-assemble the buffer minus the aluminum spacer that is rearmost in the buffer assembly. It's unnecessary and won't allow you to reassemble the buffer unless you cut it by half an inch as well.

That's it! If you're not comfortable doing this, you can ship it to me and I'll fix it free of charge. 

As long as your buffer measures approx 5-1/4” you should be fine. I recently learned that buffer size isn’t an exact science. The platform allows you a certain measure of tolerance. With no MilSpec .308 out there, no two companies make an exact copy of the others. Two buffers can be the exact same measurements, but the material used for the rubber bumper could be significantly different. A soft nub vs a hard nub could be as much as a 1/2” of compression difference. Building a “Franken308” can be a game of trial and error. 

44 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Let's unscramble this and get you going; you don't need the extension, just forget it. You do need the short vented screw that Robocop posted. Go ahead and get you one of those.

Next is your buffer, it's fully .500" too long, and needs to undergo the following changes:

40 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

As long as your buffer measures approx 5-1/4” you should be fine.

Bullshiit and bullshiit, guys.  Don't half-ass it.  Buffer should be 5.200" long for a 308 rifle buffer.

As soon as you start telling people that a little bit here and there is okay - you know it's not okay.  APs carbine receiver extension for these things is 7.100" internal depth, and it should be 7.000" internal depth - but that's okay, right?

No, causes weirdass function problems...

10 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Bullshiit and bullshiit, guys.  Don't half-ass it.  Buffer should be 5.200" long for a 308 rifle buffer.

As soon as you start telling people that a little bit here and there is okay - you know it's not okay.  APs carbine receiver extension for these things is 7.100" internal depth, and it should be 7.000" internal depth - but that's okay, right?

No, causes weirdass function problems...

Had my math completely wrong, I edited and bolded the corrections.

Good eye.

20170422_115620.thumb.jpg.4f244fe29418d15651f009b16b5d5b43.jpg

To be absolutely clear: I was experiencing a misfeed/ failure to properly strip any rounds subsequent to the first one from the magazine. If the bolt was locked to the rear manually the first round stripped and fired fine. The next to feed was being caught,  lets say approx. 1/3 the way up the case and resulted in a failed feed. It was opined that a gas issue was the culprit and several other ideas which proved incorrect as a fix, Finally what I did notice ( DUH) was that when the mag was empty causing the bolt to catch open, what was occurring was, the catch was actually resting on the shoulder of the BCG vs. the face of the bolt. Once I followed the advice to try the CAR 10 buffer and spring set up I was able to remedy this condition. The buffer and spring on the left is what fixed this issue, the one on the right is what was causing it. Working great ever since.

Edited by Waldo
Correct spelling and word spacing.

57 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I had the exact same difficulty. I used the same parts as you initially. The fix was the new buffer spring and using a CAR 10 buffer. It worked for me.

You had some pretty seriously messed up shiit - if you had to go from a carbine buffer to a rifle buffer.  I'm sure the spring had SOMETHING to do with it, but you had serious, serious problems if you were running a carbine buffer and needed a rifle buffer.

Your analogy HERE might not have anything to do with this situation - based on what YOU had to do to your recoil system.

I really PRAY that you switched from a carbine recoil system to a rifle-lengthed recoil system - switched out receiver extensions from carbine to rifle - and you're not telling us that the pics above are accurate on what it took to fix your gun operation...

Edited by 98Z5V