• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Receivers

What receivers are out there with good review? Any solid 80% receivers with no frills?

Which uppers lack forward assist? With standard rail profiles.

Prefer forged receivers when possible.

My matched billet set is great. However, it has unneeded extras.

Looking to do a complete project.

Who here makes their own barrels out of blanks? Have a few 308's with the hybrid contour 416r nitride barrel from criterion. They are nice.

I am setting up for parkerizing and am selecting 4140-4150 blanks. Have mill and lathe.

Rainier Arms makes a decent forged lower. It’s fairly inexpensive and DPMS compatible. 

A decent “no frills” upper would be an old DPMS slab-side. No forward assist, and no ejection port cover. I believe they only came in the high rail profile, and possibly the super high, raised, rail. 

I believe Green Mnt (5.56) barrels are 4150. Not sure about other calibers. I pretty sure their 5.56 barrels are used on the M249. My buddy buys 24” Green Mnt 7.62 blanks for $50. He gets three 8” .300Blk barrels from that. After profiling the barrels, he gets all his steel parts carbon treated by the batch. 

I found a crop of 0% cerro forge 308 dpms lowers and uppers. That is a bit more than I care to go in to. If a cnc house were offering them in 80%.. I would be buying.

That is beyond my tooling and time investment interests.

Appreciated. Unsure what this 'carbon treatment' is you speak of. I was looking at pacnor and shilen bull blanks. Going to stick with parkerizing because of cost. Oxide blasting and parkerizing in house will be peanuts.

A few places offered 80% lowers with an upper.. but out of stock for the last six months.

2 hours ago, Floydieguns said:

.... Unsure what this 'carbon treatment' is you speak of...

Carburized finishing, however you describe the individual process, is just absorbing carbon into the surface metal. I was just typing fast from my phone and generalized. I’m not 100% sure which “carburization treatment” he uses... Nitride? QPQ? Isonite? Melonite? Any argument about the differing quality of each process is a lack of understanding on what the final product is. It really comes down to money, time and volume of processing... and marketing. Ask a barrel mfg why they use a certain process ad they’ll usually respond with some variation of, “it’s just easier for us to use this (X) process.”

I was guessing you implied carburization with the first comment.

Yeah, it is costly any way around. Plus, the time for turn around. You have to be doing large numbers. For a small shop, parkerizing or bluing still ring in as most commercially viable. Many reasons why. Cost, consistency in time/result. Outsourcing a large house to do this for me.. not happening. A bottle of propane and a few hours does park/bluing.

The cost of propane alone is absorbed in shipping. Chemicals at my end are less than a single batch of nitride salt bath. Plus - you must send the barrels out before drilling gas port and the barrel extension cannot be installed when discussing AR platforms. Due to distortion and the difference of metals.

More time, more cost. Just blow this barrel out then I will spin and time you a new one. I will oil soak the parkerized AR barrel for a few days before installing it. Most float tubes will keep it from being scratched off. Even then, it is not that challenging to oil yourself. If parkerized carbon is not going to float - I can do stainless but those blanks I do not stock. Additional costs will be transfered in full to customer.

Edited by Floydieguns

5 hours ago, Floydieguns said:

The cost of propane alone is absorbed in shipping. Chemicals at my end are less than a single batch of nitride salt bath. Plus - you must send the barrels out before drilling gas port and the barrel extension cannot be installed when discussing AR platforms. Due to distortion and the difference of metals.

More time, more cost. Just blow this barrel out then I will spin and time you a new one. I will oil soak the parkerized AR barrel for a few days before installing it. Most float tubes will keep it from being scratched off. Even then, it is not that challenging to oil yourself. If parkerized carbon is not going to float - I can do stainless but those blanks I do not stock. Additional costs will be transfered in full to customer.

SO, are you asking the questions in the first post, so you can get informed, then sell these to your customers?

Just wondering.

Also, it's amazing that you know so much about the above ^^^, yet you stumble on the questions in your first post. 

Edited by 98Z5V

That's my point, Floydie - if you're all that you say, the real gunsmith and machinist, then with all that knowledge and expertise... Why is there such a fundamental misunderstanding of the parts and operations of this platform?

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That's my point, Floydie - if you're all that you say, the real gunsmith and machinist, then with all that knowledge and expertise... Why is there such a fundamental misunderstanding of the parts and operations of this platform?

First, clarify.

Second, do you have a reliable source of forged 80%'s or not?

Third, did you not tell me to bore a barrel for correction of misaligned gastube/gasblock?

Fourth, did you not get in a disagree about using loctite versus mangling parts?

I would appreciate out of mutual respect.. because your rectal cavaties stay out my shop and mine stay out yours..

Be polite, stay on topic.

First, clarify.

Second, do you have a reliable source of forged 80%'s or not?

Third, did you not tell me to bore a barrel for correction of misaligned gastube/gasblock?

Fourth, did you not get in a disagree about using loctite versus mangling parts?

I would appreciate out of mutual respect.. because your rectal cavaties stay out my shop and mine stay out yours..

Be polite, stay on topic.

I am on topic, Floydie.

You are the self-proclaimed 1911 superhero here, not me.  You are the super gunsmith with the fundamental lack of knowledge on these gas guns - not me.

I never told you to bore a barrel, for anything.

You're an idiot if you use loctite for a castle nut (that's what it's really called)

I do not have a source, that I would tell you about, for 80% lower, because you, are an a$s.

My rectal cavities are fine - however, yours are firmly lodged between your ears.

Be polite - just like you want others to be - or you will not receive the "polite" treatment that you demand.

You have to give respect to get respect - that's something that's lost on you, and you don't have a clue about it.

I'm ready for your rant and tirade now, that you always go into...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

You know.. pinching slides in vices, peening and hard lapping receiver rails used to be 'milspec'. No self-respecting gunsmith has done this since 1980.

There is no rant. Nor did I proclaim anything. Please cite this via quote.

Real gunsmithing requires fusing and file driving.

I appreciate your continued attacks.

I never said I was boring a barrel.

You have horrible reading abilities.

The best thing you have shown me is your ability to part-swap. I have asked multiple times, "why not 'repair' the fault?".

I thank you, for validating my points.

Edited by Floydieguns

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

First, clarify.

Oh, I will.  I'm guessing, as you like to do, that you were referring to what I bolded above in my statement - my final question.  I'll clarify for you. 

10 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

After profiling the barrels, he gets all his steel parts carbon treated by the batch. 

This right here, as soon as Rob mentioned it.

9 hours ago, Floydieguns said:

Unsure what this 'carbon treatment' is you speak of.

Your basic fundamentallack of knowledge on modern barrel treatments... 

5 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Carburized finishing, however you describe the individual process, is just absorbing carbon into the surface metal. I was just typing fast from my phone and generalized. I’m not 100% sure which “carburization treatment” he uses... Nitride? QPQ? Isonite? Melonite? Any argument about the differing quality of each process is a lack of understanding on what the final product is. It really comes down to money, time and volume of processing... and marketing. Ask a barrel mfg why they use a certain process ad they’ll usually respond with some variation of, “it’s just easier for us to use this (X) process.”

^^^  He spelled it right out for you.

5 hours ago, Floydieguns said:

I was guessing you implied carburization with the first comment.

Additional costs will be transfered in full to customer.

There's that "guessing" thing I was talking about, right there.  You didn't have a damn clue what Rob was talking about until he spelled it out for you - then you had to search it out somewhere, and make a comeback with "yeah, yeah, I thought you meant..."

You're a bullshiit artist, Floydie.  That's what you are.

What's the name of your business?  Oh, since I'm on that topic again - see that last bolded statement above?  The BIG font.  Are you trying to manufacture 80% lowers so you can sell these to customers???

13 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

You know.. pinching slides in vices, peening and hard lapping receiver rails used to be 'milspec'. No self-respecting gunsmith has done this since 1980.

There is no rant. Nor did I proclaim anything. Please cite this via quote.

Real gunsmithing requires fusing and file driving.

The best thing you have shown me is your ability to part-swap. I have asked multiple times, "why not 'repair' the fault?".

I thank you, for validating my points.

I don’t think anyone is attacking anyone here all I see is people getting their feeling hurt. 

Getting tired of the bullshit.........

btw you stated you were looking for blank barrels what were you gonna do with them if you weren’t gonna bore them? Play Tiddlywinks????

Edited by shepp

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I never told you to bore a barrel, for anything.

9 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

Wow, you are seriously out there.

By the way, my reading abilities are right on the money...   :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

Nor did I proclaim anything. Please cite this via quote.

I sure will, right here:

Now, for the clarification about MY statement - I think you have a fundemental misunderstanding of this platform based on many things you're stated here, but this one of the most recent:

You don't know the difference in the recoil systems, and you ask questions that you think are smart - but they're not. A little, TINY bit of research on your part inside of this forum would have answered those questions you'd asked.  However, your condescending attitude that none of us here know what we're talking about - got way old a long time ago.  You think "you're the man," and you might be, on a 1911.

This platform is definitely NOT a 1911.  You have a LOT to learn.

You know, so you can pass on your "expertise" to your customers...

What's the name of your gunsmithing business, again?...

Edited by 98Z5V

Roger that, sir. Appreciated.

Forever more, I stand corrected keyboard cowboy.

I think you are the one with issues. Big issues.

Shepp, google shilen or pacnor. Those are barrel blanks. They come in straight cylinder profiles with no chambers cut.

Appologies, for upsetting that aggrandizing troglodyte 98 something other.

You all keep to this band of misfits. Understand the action? You are using an offset part to accomodate a tube that is too deep internally. Why can you not weld and repair the damaged buffer detent alongside flat filing the required depth off?

Oh yes.. just replace parts.

I am out fellas. I appreciate those of you whom were truly experienced.

7 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

Shepp, google shilen or pacnor. Those are barrel blanks. They come in straight cylinder profiles with no chambers cut.

Appologies, for upsetting that aggrandizing troglodyte 98 something other.

You all keep to this band of misfits. Understand the action? You are using an offset part to accomodate a tube that is too deep internally. Why can you not weld and repair the damaged buffer detent alongside flat filing the required depth off?

Oh yes.. just replace parts.

I am out fellas. I appreciate those of you whom were truly experienced.

28 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

Yours too! Good day!!! 

You have voluntarily joined a brotherhood of like-minded men and women, of your own free will. We are all here to learn, teach and share on a topic that we all take pride in being part of. As a continuous and rapid growing community, we are in a constant struggle to maintain order and structure. We are a fluid group, as we attempt to keep up with a forever evolving subject matter. Even our name, 308AR, is archaic in that the rifle format has surpassed into more calibers, far beyond that of the original .308 Win.

Our community is small, but tighter than any other in existence. We have members who've traveled thousands of miles to just go shooting with another member. Mild acquaintances have evolved into strong family bonds that have invited attendance to graduations and coming-home events. We've seen members families off on deployment, and stayed around to welcome them home after a tour. A screen name is replaced by a real name, and added to a wedding guest registry. We've even mourned the loss of member after his passing. This kind of bond ONLY happens HERE.

All new comers are screened by our staff, not to separate, but to assist. A history of our forum, a description of our banter and antics and a warning of etiquette are commonplace for new comers who have trouble "fitting in" at first. A personal PM from our staff, combined with a warm welcome to the forum.

Understand that we have the expectation that as adults, you will act and react as an adult. While our shenanigans and tomfoolery may be childish, our morales and maturity must be unwavering.

No one is above this, and even our longest standing and greatest contributing members have been subject to correction and faced the wrath of a nine-fingered Yeti (you'll have to stick around to understand that inside joke). We do not attack, nor do we allow attacks, on our members... but if you shiit your pants, expect to be called out to explain yourself... and clean up your own mess.

We welcome all who wish to be a positive contribution to our growing family.

BUT...

IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE YOU'RE SHIIT OUT...

IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE HOW TO HANDLE A SITUATION, THAT IS LITERALLY JUST A BUNCH OF WORDS ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN...

IF YOU CAN'T SUCK UP YOUR PRIDE AND SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS FOR JUST A FEW MOMENTS AND COME TO THE UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU MAY NOT BE CORRECT...

IF YOU LACK THE COMMUNICATION SKILLS TO ACCURATELY ARGUE A POINT, WITHOUT RESORTING TO INSULTS, NAME-CALLING OR OTHER IDIOCY...

Kindly work your way towards the nearest exit and let yourself out. You will not be missed.

AND...

In the situation where one fails to take the gentleman's way out, your words and behavior are etched on our boards forever, never to be censored and to be forever a reminder to new comers. After the ban hammer drops, you will never again be able to rejoin our dinner table. Depending on the circumstances you might not even be able to view our pages again.

You, of all people, especially in this situation...

YOU WILL NOT BE MISSED.

2 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

1.  Shepp, google shilen or pacnor. Those are barrel blanks. They come in straight cylinder profiles with no chambers cut.

2.  Appologies, for upsetting that aggrandizing troglodyte 98 something other.

3.  You all keep to this band of misfits. Understand the action? You are using an offset part to accomodate a tube that is too deep internally. Why can you not weld and repair the damaged buffer detent alongside flat filing the required depth off?

4.  Oh yes.. just replace parts.

5.  I am out fellas. I appreciate those of you whom were truly experienced.

1.  No need to google those - all the people that have been here for a minute know exactly what those barrels are, blank or not.  Along with many other fine barrels, blank or not.

2.  You didn't upset me in the least.  Not even a little bit.  You did show your a$s though, again.  Thanks for that.

3. Why in the hell would you weld and repair a buffer detent, when it's a $3 part - and IT ISN"T THE PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?...  You don't even understand what the root problem was, in the first place...  My point.

4. It's about finding the root problem - and sometimes you can correct it- I think you call that "gunsmithing" - it's not always about replacing parts.  More often than not, on this platform, and the customer base, it IS about replacing out-of-spec parts from substandard manufacturers. Why would you attemp to fix that junk? Throw it away, and use the parts that are proven, from a reputable vendor, and just plain WORK...

5. See ya. Don't let the door slam your a$s on the way out. Here's a parting gift, a consolation prize of sorts...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

1.  No need to google those - all the people that have been here for a minute know exactly what those barrels are, blank or not.  Along with many other fine barrels, blank or not.

2.  You didn't upset me in the least.  Not even a little bit.  You did show your a$s though, again.  Thanks for that.

3. Why in the hell would you weld and repair a buffer detent, when it's a $3 part - and IT ISN"T THE PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?...  You don't even understand what the root problem was, in the first place...  My point.

4. It's about finding the root problem - and sometimes you can correct it- I think you call that "gunsmithing" - it's not always about replacing parts.  More often than not, on this platform, and the customer base, it IS about replacing out-of-spec parts from substandard manufacturers. Why would you attemp to fix that junk? Throw it away, and use the parts that are proven, from a reputable vendor, and just plain WORK...

5. See ya. Don't let the door slam your a$s on the way out. Here's a parting gift, a consolation prize of sorts...

Beat you to it ? I got it saved in my phone for special occasions such as this!!!

i got winner on tiddlywinks 

10 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

This is so fundamentally wrong, it's actually hilarious, coming from the "professional."

Do you even understand that if you're using a "tube" that too deep internally, it doesn't have anything to do with what you're saying?  Do you even understand that if you're using a "tube" that's too deep internally, and you added this offset pin  - it would make the problem even worse?

No, you don't understand that.  You don't even know what the hell you're talking about on this platform, in the least.  Stick to1911s.

2 minutes ago, shepp said:

Beat you to it ? I got it saved in my phone for special occasions such as this!!!

i got winner on tiddlywinks 

I had alot more to say to this asshat than you did...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

OKay, now that the BS is over with, and Floydie is gone... so he says...

This guy said ONE thing that bothered me.  He wants sources on 80% parts, and when the barrels came up - he's passing everything on to the customer...

SO, I asked a few times, and he avoided it.  What I really wanna know is - "You buying 80s toyou can make guns and sell to customers?"  Never answered.

I'm pretty sure if he was a manufacturing FFL (07 FFL/SOT license), he would have stated that in his massive bragging intro. He didn't.  So, I hope he goes out there and makes some 80s, and sells them to customers - and gets popped by Uncle Sugar.  He seems that bright...

Edited by 98Z5V

Let him go, brother - he's welding and machining broken buffer retainers...   :laffs:

Because he's a GUNSMITH!   :banana:

Note: I did rebuild the power steering pump on my Nissan, instead of just bolting in a reman...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Let him go, brother - he's welding and machining broken buffer retainers...   :laffs:

Because he's a GUNSMITH!   :banana:

Note: I did rebuild the power steering pump on my Nissan, instead of just bolting in a reman...   :thumbup:

You’re right, I got to bend some wire into new trigger springs before I go to bed anyways