• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Vltor 308AR spring..........

Chuck Plissken

I've read and read but not 100% on which spring to buy. 

Using a 3.25" buffer and Vltor 7 position buffer tube,which spring is a drop in no modification needed?

I see spikes tactical has a spring for their 308 and Vltor tube which is about 11.3" long. Is this what I'm after? Here's a link.

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/lower-parts/products/parts-lower-parts-buffer-spring-308?variant=32521157836

I see an Armalite spring has been recommended but also have read it needs to be cut some for propper usage..I'm happy with my rifle buffer tube and set up but want an adjustable/collapsible stock. 

Thanks for any guidence.

15 minutes ago, Chuck Plissken said:

I see an Armalite spring has been recommended but also have read it needs to be cut some for propper usage..

Armalite EA1095 spring with that combo, and it doesn't have to be cut at all.  Where ever that info came from, it's pure BS.  :thumbup:

I'd like to see who's saying that, though...  

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Armalite EA1095 spring with that combo, and it doesn't have to be cut at all.  Where ever that info came from, it's pure BS.  :thumbup:

He’s our wise man, he’d his advice works (and will sometimes cause outrageous expenditures)

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I can't find the post but it wasn't on here. glad to hear it's not as complicated as some made it out to be. Will be giving this a try asap. 

Thanks a million 98

Edited by Chuck Plissken

It'll work like a champ, man.  I've got at least one perfectly functional large-frame with that combo, maybe two. I'd really have to look at them to tell. I damn sure didn't need to cut any of those Armalite EA1095 spring to make the guns work. 

The VLTOR A5 extensions (either 6 or 7 position) and the Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension are truly interchangeable on large frame ARs. You can even intend to put a full VLTOR A5 recoil system on your AR15, and use the Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension instead - fully functional. I've done this on a Grendel build:  Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension, VLTOR A5 H1 buffer, DSG M16A2 recoil spring.  Flawless operation on the Grendel, operating as an A5 recoil system.

So, use either of those extensions, any AR15 H3 carbine buffer, and the Armalite EA1095 spring. If you have issues with that, its not because of an issue with your recoil system, I'll guarantee that or buy the parts straight from you for what you had to pay.  One caveat, though - show me receipts, I trust no one... :laffs:

I'm getting into a new-ish type of recoil system for these things.  I'll report on that shortly.  I received all the parts today - at work.  I don't work on Fridays, so it has to wait until Monday night for initial inspection.  Details coming soon.

Word of caution on VLTOR parts - receiver extensions, specifically. They are making some longer (A5-length) pistol extensions now. Obviously, you don't want that for a buttstock - it won't go on there.  However, if you're building a pistol large-frame...  that will be the ticket.  They only make the AR15-lengthed extension in a FIVE-POSITION.  That's the one with the 7" internal depth, for the AR15 Carbine recoil system, only...  That one doesn't work on large-frame ARs.  They make a 6-position (RE-10/A5SR) and they make a 7-position (RE-A5). Either of those two have an internal depth of 7 5/8" and will work just fine on the large-frame ARs, when you're looking at the 3.250" H3 buffer.  Always use the EA1095 spring from Armalite in these combos.  I can't comment on the flat-wires and all that fancy jazz, because I found out what works (really well), and I stuck to it.  :thumbup:

VLTOR receiver extension options:

https://www.vltor.com/product-category/ar/receiver-extensions/

Edited by 98Z5V

On 7/20/2018 at 4:15 PM, 98Z5V said:

It'll work like a champ, man.  I've got at least one perfectly functional large-frame with that combo, maybe two. I'd really have to look at them to tell. I damn sure didn't need to cut any of those Armalite EA1095 spring to make the guns work. 

The VLTOR A5 extensions (either 6 or 7 position) and the Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension are truly interchangeable on large frame ARs. You can even intend to put a full VLTOR A5 recoil system on your AR15, and use the Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension instead - fully functional. I've done this on a Grendel build:  Armalite AR-10 Carbine extension, VLTOR A5 H1 buffer, DSG M16A2 recoil spring.  Flawless operation on the Grendel, operating as an A5 recoil system.

So, use either of those extensions, any AR15 H3 carbine buffer, and the Armalite EA1095 spring. If you have issues with that, its not because of an issue with your recoil system, I'll guarantee that or buy the parts straight from you for what you had to pay.  One caveat, though - show me receipts, I trust no one... :laffs:

I'm getting into a new-ish type of recoil system for these things.  I'll report on that shortly.  I received all the parts today - at work.  I don't work on Fridays, so it has to wait until Monday night for initial inspection.  Details coming soon.

Word of caution on VLTOR parts - receiver extensions, specifically. They are making some longer (A5-length) pistol extensions now. Obviously, you don't want that for a buttstock - it won't go on there.  However, if you're building a pistol large-frame...  that will be the ticket.  They only make the AR15-lengthed extension in a FIVE-POSITION.  That's the one with the 7" internal depth, for the AR15 Carbine recoil system, only...  That one doesn't work on large-frame ARs.  They make a 6-position (RE-10/A5SR) and they make a 7-position (RE-A5). Either of those two have an internal depth of 7 5/8" and will work just fine on the large-frame ARs, when you're looking at the 3.250" H3 buffer.  Always use the EA1095 spring from Armalite in these combos.  I can't comment on the flat-wires and all that fancy jazz, because I found out what works (really well), and I stuck to it.  :thumbup:

VLTOR receiver extension options:

https://www.vltor.com/product-category/ar/receiver-extensions/

Sounds like I have it sorted out thanks to you 98. I have a 16" mid and 14.5 mid 308ar builds and seem 100% fine with 5.4oz rifle buffers. When changing the 14.5 over I notice PWS sells a 6.9oz 3.25" carbine buffer I might go with. Depends on how it responds to a suppressor down the road but that's another subject. 

I'm interested in your new adventure with a different system. Any hints on what it is?

13 minutes ago, Chuck Plissken said:

I'm interested in your new adventure with a different system. Any hints on what it is?

7" internal depth AR15 carbine receiver extension, mil-spec, from a reputable vendor, Armalite EA1095 spring, 2.5" buffer with a stainless steel body. We'll see what it looks like on Monday, when I get to work and get hands-on.  I'm hoping the stainless body adds alot of weight, over the traditional aluminum body.  I'm hoping this little 2.5" buffer is pretty close to 5.4 oz, like an H3 buffer.  I'll slap it on the gram scale and find out.  :thumbup: