• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Annealing brass

308kiwi

Any of you guys anneal your brass before reloading??

I've been getting lots of split necks in my 6mm Remington, which was doing my freakin head in, especially as 6mm Rem brass is like fairy schit over here, so I built myself an annealer, scrounged most of the bits from left over projects in my workshop and a quick visit to Jaycar, (same as your Radio Shack), for a power supply and some bits to make a speed control circuit, it works a treat and cost me less than $100

ann1.jpg

ann3.jpg

ann2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, survivalshop said:

How do you know what temp the necks get ? 

Is there water to quench the brass  in that container ,to stop the heat of the brass traveling to the base ?

I'm using Tempilaq, a paint on paste/paint that changes colour depending on temperature, yep the catch tub is full of water.

The vid and the photos was me just running some old 308 brass through to try it out after I'd finished building it.

6 hours ago, 308kiwi said:

I'm using Tempilaq, a paint on paste/paint that changes colour depending on temperature, yep the catch tub is full of water.

The vid and the photos was me just running some old 308 brass through to try it out after I'd finished building it.

Same product I use .  I'm sure you set timing with your machine , great job on that machine , very efficient , wish i had something like that . 

14 hours ago, survivalshop said:

How do you know what temp the necks get ? 

Is there water to quench the brass  in that container ,to stop the heat of the brass traveling to the base ?

There is a temperature indicating paste that you apply to the neck on test cases (changes color at the correct temp) and you apply it to a few cases in order to regulate the time the neck is heated by the variable speed control  of the motor that turns the case during the heating  cycle.

Edited by mrmackc

17 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Same product I use .  I'm sure you set timing with your machine , great job on that machine , very efficient , wish i had something like that . 

Yep, the motor that drives it is controlled by a variable power supply so I can speed it up or slow it down accordingly.