• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Armalite AR10 barrel nut, handguard issue.

Phatassjay

Bought a MI drop in handguard for my rifle. Ran into a small technical issue with the barrel nut. The handguard has 4 pins that line up with the 'divots' in the barrel nut but are not lined up. I don't have the tools to do it myself so I took it to a local gun shop. I was told at 75/hr it would take 3 hours for them to do this. I'm not an armorer but what is the correlation between the barrel nut and the gas tube? If the gas block is loosened to remove the gas tube can't the barrel nut be tightened or loosened a few mm so the pins line up? I know there are specific ft/lbs for the barell nut, shouldn't there be some tolerance either way to allow for it to be tightened ever so slightly? Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Gonna call Monday but I'm sure they are going to tell me the barrel nut has to be turned a few mm. Basically the inner pins aren't seating in the sprocket on the barrel nut. Saw a video of the exact issue and they tightened the nut and it fit. Unfortunately I don't have any of the tools needed and this shop is saying it's a 3 hr job. Gonna call armalite also and see if they can give me the threshold on the ft/lbs on that nut. It just doesn't seem like a 3 hr job, maybe an hour? I think the job was too small so they blew it off and tried to sell me on a free floating handguard which I don't want. Just going to keep at it..

7 minutes ago, Phatassjay said:

Gonna call armalite also and see if they can give me the threshold on the ft/lbs on that nut.

The torque range for that nut is 30~80 ft/lbs.

It's no different than any other AR-type platform.

Edited by 98Z5V

Remove he pin from the gasblock, that holds the gas tube in there, and you can remove the gas tube - I'd definitely do that (and I do every time) when I'm messing around with the barrel nut. 

Knock that roll pin out, and don't lose it, and slide that gas tube back out of the gasblock.  You can twist/rotate it and take it out of the upper receiver then.