• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS Barrel Extension Wrench

MajorJim

For DPMS Style .308 barrel extensions.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=722167#productTabReviews

But take a look at the description:

Steel Barrel Extension Wrench is designed to assist removal and installation of the barrel extension. Also prevents misalignment with outer guide shell.

Technical Information

Material:Steel

Length: 3.165"

Notes:

This product is to be mounted on a 1" drive ratchet.

Midway assures me that the 1" drive ratchet is accurate.  That is a HUGE ratchet - torque up to and over 600 pounds.  Some of these use a 5 foot bar!  Ratchet head is a good 3 pounds plus.

I have seen 1" ratchets used on railroads, large and I mean large farm and industrial vehicles and equipment, but a .308 barrel? 

How much torque do those extensions require????  Heck, you can start out with a 1:10 twist, and by the time you are done ratcheting the extension down, you could end up with a 1:4 twist!!!!  Really!!!!! 

The torque that can be produced from a 1" ratchet is definitely not required to install a barrel extension, at leasy not on anything .50 BMG and under.

I think they're (the manufacturer, not Midway) making it like that based on large-manufacturer requests, from years ago.  The barrel makers. 

You could easily step up a 1/2" drive ratchet with a 1/2" to 1" adapter, and have the required torque to install one of these.  This is barrel-maker stuff, though, so I don't see the point unless you start making your own barrels.  Even just "replacing" a barrel extension would require welding the gas port shut and drilling a new one once the new extension is properly headspaced (machined for proper headspace).

This is barrel-maker stuff, though, so I don't see the point unless you start making your own barrels.  Even just "replacing" a barrel extension would require welding the gas port shut and drilling a new one once the new extension is properly headspaced (machined for proper headspace).

That sounds like significant trouble just to replace a barrel extension, I would think it would be more simple to just install & headspace the barrel extension and then cut the feed ramps.... but, I digress that I'm not a barrel-maker.

Yup, the barrel extension would haev to be machined (down) for proper headspace, and the feedramp location in that headspaced position determines where the slot for the barrel index pin goes.  That, in turn, determines the barrel centerline for gas port location.

The chance of removing whatever barrel extension you currently have, then headspacing a new one into place, AND having everything line up from the first one - slim to none.  If it did indeed line up after that, it's time to purchase lottery tickets.  <laughs>

Yup, the barrel extension would haev to be machined (down) for proper headspace, and the feedramp location in that headspaced position determines where the slot for the barrel index pin goes.  That, in turn, determines the barrel centerline for gas port location.

The chance of removing whatever barrel extension you currently have, then headspacing a new one into place, AND having everything line up from the first one - slim to none.  If it did indeed line up after that, it's time to purchase lottery tickets.  <laughs>

What a nightmare... makes me glad that so many barrels on the market ship preassembled....  ;D

ADCO can perform this barrel extension swap with minimal effort, and not a great expense, with a great turnaround.  It would be best left to them, instead of purchasing a tool that will remove/install the extension.  I'm just sayin'...  <dontknow>