• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magazine questions

bubbas4570

• 5 months later...

I don't know who's mag that is, but I can tell you WHAT it is! I'm guessing it is limited to 10 rounds? Magazines like that were made during the hi cap magazine ban. The extra rib in the middle stops the follower at a certain capacity (usually 10 rounds) and the cut in the mag body is there to keep someone from grinding out the extra rib that limits capacity. You can't see it in the picture very well, but the cut in the mag body doesn't continue through that extra rib. If you grind out the extra rib the mag falls apart! That thing is a relic from the 10 year hicap magazine ban!

My oldest son got an STI 2011 during that time and the 10 round mag that came with it had the same kind of cut. He got someone in the welding shop at Ft. Bliss to weld up the cut and then gave it to me to smooth out the welds inside the mag tube and grind out the extra rib. I filed and sanded on that SOB for a month to get it cleaned up enough for the thing to function in a hicap capacity! The guy who welded it was NOT an accomplished welder! I got that thing to function though, not so much that he needed it, but more to thumb my nose at the ban and those azzholes who put it in place!:lmao: Since I was a cop I had no problem acquiring hicap mags.