• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building a 308 for hunting

wicat3

Hi Everyone.  I have been looking at building an AR for hunting for some time.  I started with a 6.5 Grendel but have always wanted to build a 308.  I was able to get what I thought was a good deal on a PSA gen 2 lower.  I have been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that I should use a 16 inch barrel, and 308 as this would fit my needs.  I know there are two types, armolite and DPMS.  I think due to its popularity I am going with DPMS.  I also live in NY so I am going to have to pin a 5 round magazine to comply with the laws.  I am going to use a PSA gen 2 upper so hopefully it should mate together with the lower fairly well.  My few questions that I have at this point are these:

1. What is a good serviceable magizine?

2. A 16" 308 barrel is what I plan to use so whats a decent barrel to use that wont be crazy expensive?  And what is a good flash hidder?  I am looking to spend maybe $300 on the barrel.

Magpul P-mag's are are the kitties titties. Run great in my PA-10 and Xanthos. I bought a 5 round ACS, had to modify it to make it feed.  For hunting, I like what Faxon offers. I installed a 16" pencil profile in my Xanthos and it's right at 6lbs empty. The "Big Gunner" line by Faxon has my second vote. 

20181223_070436.thumb.jpg.580635cbfcb969dfe7daf44a85e86736.jpg