• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6mm Creedmoor Build

DesertGun

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-308-barrel-6mm-creedmoor-heavy-profile-prod110185.aspx

Pretty good review on this one.^^

IMO if you want something specific then buy yourself a BAT Machine 308 barrel extension, a Krieger or a Bartlein 6mm blank in the twist you want for the projectiles you are going to use and get it threaded, profiled and chambered by a gunsmith that knows what he is doing. 

Wilson Combat produces them, and they make great, accurate barrels.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/6mm-Creedmoor/products/1007/

However, use Armalite AR-10 gas tubes, and be ready to drill up the gas port diameter, possibly.  My .338 Federal was dead-on the money, in gas port size.  I might be drilling up my .260 Rem barrel.  Both needed Armalite AR-10 gas tubes.  Other examples of WC barrels here needed the same, for gas tubes, every single time - some of those other calibers might need gas port work. We'll see how they shake out, over time.

^^^ spot on.

If you are going to go past 20" barrel length you really need a longer, (than std AR rifle length), gas tube to keep your dwell time in check, a std rifle length gas system on a 24" barrel will cause you issues with extraction and brass life, ie friggin hard on brass and extractors as the gas system is starting the unlock and primary extraction too early.

Also going with a custom barrel you can sort your throat length at the same time as chambering, most of the accuracy issues with these 6mm and 6.5mm 'wildcats' is or can often be sourced back to incorrect/inadequate throat length for the projectiles and one can only assume you are going to be using 105 -115gr VLD's if you are building this for PRS competition.

When I built my 243 Win upper I shifted the throat forward by .040" with a throating reamer after I finished reaming the chamber, result being more options with seating depth and lead in the throat.

In saying that, you are going to be limited with seating depths anyway because you will need to be seating for mag length, but still, point stands.

Edited by 308kiwi