• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Part Compatibility

Bruiser

I have an armalite buffer kit on order now from armalite.  Turns out they just got in all the parts to make the kits and would be assembling the kits today and tomorrow. They had 16 on backorder and had some extras so if you need one, snag it while you can. Oh, and they do offer a military and Leo discount. I talked to Brian in sales.

I talked with a nice lady at toolcraft and she said that the high pressure 6.5 bolt with double ejectors would work but would be overkill/wasted money on a 308 build so I opted for the nitrided 308 bcg.

Also ordered all the apps stuff previously listed.  All I need now is to find a nice 18" ballistic advantage (or similar quality and price) barrel with a rifle gas system on sale or clearance somewhere. I also need a gas tube. Didn't order one now just in case I end up needing a mid length.  Oh, and I need some foliage green duracote ?

Edited by Bruiser

The Armalite buffer tube assembly has arrived. 

The bulk of my parts are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday but then I will have to set up an appointment with my FFL to go thru that process. 

I just ordered some Duracoat for the upper, lower and handguard.  I got kinda hung up on that because I didn't want to pay shipping that was just too high but I couldn't find it locally so I caved...

My biggest hang up is the barrel.  I would prefer a 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system.  Ballistic Advantage has one on sale for $180 but it's a heavy barrel at 52.5 ounces.  I'd really like something a little lighter at the same price point.  I'll probably cave on this too ?  I'd welcome some advise on it though.

-Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize that I left you guys hanging like this ?

All my parts came in.  I had no trouble putting the lower together.  I was following a you tube video.  The upper was a little tougher.  I ended up watching several video to figure it out.  I think I took the handguard off three times because it was in the way of installing something else.  I was so excited about getting the barrel timed so the rail lined up with the receiver that I put it on all the way.  Then I realized I needed it off to install the gas block so off it came.  Stupid me, I put it back on.  Then later I went to put on the ejection door and discovered it needed to come off again...  I didn't stake or Loctite anything because I plan on taking it back apart so it can make it foliage green.  I wanted to make sure it functioned properly before the Duracoat.

I took it out and shot it today.  Other than being kinda heavy the only problem I had was that it seems to make ammo disappear...  I swear I only pulled the trigger 5 times but then my magazine was empty ?  Everything worked properly.  Ejected straight out the side, fed every round, bolt locked back after last round.  No problem chambering a round after a new magazine was installed.  I was shooting Winchester Super X 180 grain Power Points.  It was very pleasing to shoot.  I expected much more recoil than it gave.  I would say my COlt Competition has a sharper recoil shooting 55 grain 5.56 ammo.

BTW, I still did manage to come in at just over $800 but it was the Duracoat shipping fees that pushed it past 800.

Thanks to everybody for your advice,

-Bob

Great report, Bob!  I love it when a plan comes together, a build works like it should - and lead goes downrange.  :thumbup:

I have the same issue with my magazines, too. I swear they are 20-rounders, but they have to be defective, the way they make the ammo disappear...   :laffs:

• 1 month later...

I'd like to put this Aero Precision M-LOK free float handguard https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-quantum-m-lok-handguards

on my Windham Weaponry 308 AR with a 20" barrel. WW tells me that their barrel nut is DPMS threaded, which the AP handguard has, but the WW people I corresponded with couldn't say if their barrel nut was Gen 1 or Gen 2.  The WW rail height is to Armalite specs, and they have doubts the AP handguard will line up with my WW upper receiver.   I expect I am going to have to replace my gas block, as it is not currently a low profile design.  

Has anyone here ever tried matching these parts?  Is there a workaround if the rail height doesn't match?  Am I on a fools errand?