• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Part Compatibility

Bruiser

Hello, I'm new here and about to start a build.  I have a few questions about compatibility that I hope someone can help with. 

I am looking at using a 6.5 creedmore bolt.  I found them for just a little more than a .308 bolt but it has the high pressure firing pin and double ejector.  Would that work with a .308 build?

I am looking at this buffer kit https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar10-spare-parts-lower-parts-kit-upper-parts-kit-and-triggers/ar-10-308-six-position-buffer-tube-kit-w3-8-oz-buffer-mil-spec/ 

I was wondering if this stock would work with it  https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/stocks-braces/magpul-moe-carb-stock-mil-spec-foliage-green/ 

Thank you,

-Bob

4 hours ago, Bruiser said:

Hello, I'm new here and about to start a build.  I have a few questions about compatibility that I hope someone can help with. 

I am looking at using a 6.5 creedmore bolt.  I found them for just a little more than a .308 bolt but it has the high pressure firing pin and double ejector.  Would that work with a .308 build?  The base of the cases on both are the same, as well as the case diameter.  Everything changes at the shoulder, though.  You would have to verify headspace with this, for certain, just to be safe, but the math works, and outside of headspace, it does work.  Check headspace before you attempt to shoot it, though.

I am looking at this buffer kit https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/ar10-spare-parts-lower-parts-kit-upper-parts-kit-and-triggers/ar-10-308-six-position-buffer-tube-kit-w3-8-oz-buffer-mil-spec/  I wouldn't, myself.  Too many unknowns, and the first sentence in the description isn't even possible.  I would piece something together from known, reputable retailers, if you insist on a 2.500" based buffer length, or just get the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, either complete, or pieced together.  I'm talking about the gen-u-wine Armalite parts, and there are suitable replacements for two of the three main parts (Receiver extension and buffer).  There is no suitable replacement for the spring, if that's the route you go - you get the real one, or don't do it.  My $0.02 on that.

I was wondering if this stock would work with it  https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/stocks-braces/magpul-moe-carb-stock-mil-spec-foliage-green/ Yes, it would work.

Thank you,

-Bob

Edited by 98Z5V

I see what you mean about the first line describing the buffer now that I read it again.  Almost all of my build is Aero Precision but they are out of the AP buffer kits so that is why I was looking at that one.  I'm not insisting on anything other that I want something that is going to work ?  Thanks for pointing that out to me

-Bob

7 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Almost all of my build is Aero Precision but they are out of the AP buffer kits so that is why I was looking at that one.

I wouldn't run that one, either. 

Since you're on a new build, and this is a blank slate, and you're looking at something to run a collapsible stock on - you want to target a buffer weight that's around 5.4oz.  My preference for simplicity is the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, because it meets all the criteria, and they are the only manufacturer making it - so it doesn't get messed up by aftermarket companies, that just do what they want anyway.

Next up is the DPMS-based recoil system, with the short buffer.  For that, a real AR15 mil-spec receiver extension from a reputable manufacturer, make your own buffer or buy the KAK 5.3oz buffer, and use the Sprinco Orange spring.  That combo just works. 

The recoil system is the heart of your rifle.  It's not the place to try to shave a few bucks off the build.  If your recoil system is junk, or made of unknown parts, we WILL be diagnosing this in the future.  I guarantee it. 

Read these, when you get the time - the info is in there:

Edited by 98Z5V

Never thought that with all the different buffer assemblies out there that only a few actually work.  i'm not interested in buying one part here, one part there and paying more for shipping than sometimes the actual part cost. 

Maybe I am getting in over my head here trying to build a nice rifle.  Not a thousand yard tack driver but something that consistently shoots 1 MOA or so.  I mean here I was thinking Aero Precision is good stuff.  For me, it was either this route, a DPMS Oracle or a PSA.  My budget is right around $800 all in.  Not a fan of the Oracle so that leaves the PSA.  Buying a PSA upper and lower would be a lot cheaper (650) and I know it would shoot and be warrantied. 

Hell, maybe I should give up on a AR/LR or whatever the hell 10 altogether and just enjoy my Colt and SIG 5.56 rifles and my Remington M700 in 308.

-Bob

Edited by Bruiser

5 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Never thought that with all the different buffer assemblies out there that only a few actually work.  i'm not interested in buying one part here, one part there and paying more for shipping than sometimes the actual part cost. 

Maybe I am getting in over my head here trying to build a nice rifle.  I mean here I was thinking Aero Precision is good stuff.  It was either this route, a DPMS Oracle or a PSA.  My budget is right around $800 all in.  Not a fan of the Oracle so that leaves the PSA.  Buying a PSA upper and lower would be a lot cheaper (650) and I know it would shoot and be warrantied.

-Bob

The PSA will maybe run. Maybe not. You will probably be buying the Armalite parts for it too. Just buy the Armalite carbine tube ,spring and buffer and be done with it. The PSA  upper will need to have the Armalite gas tube installed unless PSA has finally listened and started installing the proper part. I bought the rifle lower from PSA so my only problem was the short gas tube in the upper.

Edited by shooterrex

5 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Buying a PSA upper and lower would be a lot cheaper (650) and I know it would shoot and be warrantied.

Search the PSA section.  There are plenty of issues that need to be addressed in many instances as he said above.^^^

We're not trying to dissuade you from what you want.  We are trying to help you get it right to begin with.  The principles are the same as AR15s, but there is no "milspec" to guarantee compatibility.  These people can help you get a functional rifle without having to duplicate buying parts.

17 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Buying a PSA upper and lower would be a lot cheaper (650) and I know it would shoot and be warrantied.

That $650 PSA will feel like it's "over-gassed," and you will end up buying an adjustable gas block for it, which kills your PSA warranty-forever, according to reports from them.

It's not "over-gassed," it's under-recoiled, and they compensate for that in other areas.

The gas tube is too short, and the gas port in the barrel is too small.

So, you'll end up with the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System for it anyway, which is the cheapest way to do that setup.  You'll also need the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube for it, to fix the use of an AR15 Midlength gas tube, where they gas port location is drilled.  You also need to include gunsmith fees to enlarge your gas port from around 0.070" that it ships with, to somewhere between 0.080"~0.085" - add that up onto the $650, and tell me how much that rifle will cost... 

I'm not trying to insult you, dissuade you, or anything else.  I'm giving you reality.  You are building this rifle, and you probably want it to run correctly, right?  That's what is being offered.  It might not meet your $800 budget needs, but it's not that far over it.  So, you thought your budget was gonna be $800 - and it doesn't meet that.  Are you going to be better off not making that budget by a few bucks?   Or by meeting that budget, saving a few bucks, having a gun that doesn't run, then spending more money to replace the wrong parts that were used in the first place?

Only you can answer that one...

***   This information, and these specifics listed, are directly based on their 18" midlength gas .308 Win barrel ***

You also need to include gunsmith fees to enlarge your gas port from around 0.070" that it ships with, to somewhere between 0.080"~0.085"

So were you just saying that the Aero Precsion buffer kit is not something you would go with or AP parts altogether?

I binged Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System and it just came up with one thread in a forum and I couldn't find it.  Is this the buffer tube, spring and buffer or something entirely different?  I found those on the Armalite site for $55.  Found them at optic planet too for nearly twice the price ?

Bob

Edited by Bruiser

27 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

So were you just saying that the Aero Precsion buffer kit is not something you would go with or AP parts altogether?

My first .308 carbine recoil system was from AP.  It had a receiver extension that was 7.100" internal depth, a 3.8oz shorty buffer, and a weird spring that looked more AR15 carbine spring than anything else. Once I prmarily tracked my weird functional issues to the issues in the recoil system, I bought my first Armalite system, and I haven't looked back since.  I have 4 other guns that are built on the Aero M5 sets - that is top-quality stuff, right there.

Ok, so tomorrow I am calling Armalite and getting whichever they have.  I had to go out of town all day and couldn't call.

Here's the rest of the parts

AP 308 upper, lower and Parallax 15" slim M-Lok handguard

Toolcraft Bolt-jury still out whether .308 nitrade or 6.5 CR high pressure bolt.  E-mail sent to manufacturer

LR-308 Ejection Cover

AP Fwd Assist

AP A2 flash hider

AP .750 Lo Pro Gas block

AP charging handle

AP lower parts kit

Barrel--I am still shopping for a barrel.  Probably a Ballistic Advantage 18" with rifle length

Gas tube--waiting until I pick out a barrel so I bget the right size

Buffer Tube--Coming from Armalite.  EIther a rifle length with fixed A2 stock or a 6 position tube kit

Stock--either a fixed stock from Armalite or an Magpul MOE.  Depends on the gas tube from Armalite

I think that sums it all up.

-Bob

1 hour ago, Bruiser said:

Is the Armalite Rifle length buffer assy also good? 

https://www.armalite.com/product/ea6050-ar10-a2-rifle-black-buttstock-kit/

Thank you,

-Bob

Hardly ANY 308 manufacturer screws up the .308AR rifle recoil system, but I have seen one.  It was recent, too, and I commented on that.  The .308AR rifle recoil system is a hard thing to jack up - so it remains pretty consistent, without much fanfare or trouble.

If you purchase a rifle recoil system FROM Armalite, FOR the AR-10, you will never have problems from your recoil system, at all.  I have only ONE .308AR with a rifle recoil system, and the parts are all Fulton Armory (verified DPMS), and it's flawless - because that doesn't get screwed up often, and also because Fulton Armory will never screw it up - reputable parts from reputable vendors. 

8 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Toolcraft Bolt-jury still out whether .308 nitrade or 6.5 CR high pressure bolt.  E-mail sent to manufacturer

Toolcraft is 110% pure quality, so whichever one you get from them, you won't have an issue.  If you ever DO have an issue down the road, they have a lifetime, no-bullshiit warranty on it.  :thumbup: