• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Custom machining handguard

OldGregg

New here to the forums but I couldn't find any topics like this, I have been searching and searching to try and find the handguard the offers the stability, durability and look that I want. The handguard that I settled on was from Larue tactical however the guard is proprietary to the gun and can't be used on the one I am building and I would want to add and. My question is if there is a machine shop that offers a custom service to mill out a handgaurd that I want. I have talked to Unique ARs and they told me that were unable to build that design as they are limited to the tubes that they order and some of the local companies here that machine handguards are saying they wouldn't be able to fulfill that kind of order. I wanted to use a large barrel nut similar to either the Aero BAR barrel nut or the PRI MK12 style barrel nut. I feel like since this is a very specific order I would have to talk to someone who is not only a good machinist but familiar with firearms parts machining as well. I'm struggling to find anything and most of the places I talk to have resulted in dead ends with no direction of where to go next. Any help at all would be appreciated. I live in Washington state and would optimally like to deal with someone local but I am fully willing to deal with someone in another state.

1 hour ago, OldGregg said:

The handguard that I settled on was from Larue tactical however the guard is proprietary to the gun and can't be used on the one I am building and I would want to add and.

Which specific LaRue rail caught your attention?  There are two that are proprietary to them, and another that is available (but it's not those two).

6 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Don’t hurt yourself over this. PRI makes a MK12 Mod 0 handguard. Just go pick out the appropriate carbon fiber tube for your rifle, then select the 14 or 15 inch top rail that you want to use with the handguard… .308 MK 12 Mod 0 complete. 

Thanks Robocop1051! I do very much like the look and the barrel nut looks rock solid. Do you know if the rail and guard can be cut and modified? Im going to be running a selector adjustable gas block and am hoping to be able to keep it under the handguard and still be able to access it from the side. I've heard carbon fiber is a nightmare to deal with so I wanted to know if it's even a possibility.

Everything is doable... there’s a tool designed for every project... and not all CF is created equal.

my best advice it to call PRI and talk to someone. I have been a regular shopper with them for years. I will attests to the extremely high quality of their parts. Some here may consider me a bit of an elitist or a gun snob. PRI makes legitimate battle proven parts. I will put my reputation on the line in support of their product. 

10 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

1746C434-5818-43BE-A1ED-0D9BC63383A2.jpeg

Fuk me, that's a Gen 2 rail right there.   All the first Gen rails went straight to the military contract, then they changed them to the Gen 2 for production.  I can't zoom in on that front sight enough to tell, but I'll bet that bastard is one of the originals, too, with the elevation drum on the middle of it.

I went Gen 3 on my rail, because that's what was available when I built this beast.  2011? 2012?  I can't remember.  It is bad, though, for a 5.56 gun.  :thumbup:  They haven't seen the need to make a Gen 4 yet - but they DO have a new carbon fiber rail with M-LOK slots in it.  It's not even on the website yet...  Looks just like a Gen 3, but with M-LOK slots.  Badass.

Here's some "original guns" that don't even go out often anymore - but the Mk12 Mod 0 is the second one down from the top - that's the Gen 3 rail and top rail.   Top to bottom, the first .308AR with the Sierra Precision SPR-1 adjustable buttplate, then the Mk12 Mod 0, THE Woody, The 16" precision gun on the Spikes billet receivers, and the .45AR.

491759219_Theoriginalguns.thumb.jpg.04448694a7fd9d0b7809640467304f47.jpg