• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6.5mm Grendel barrel 20 in vs 24 in question

Due to some peer pressure from here...well more of a slight nudge, I'm going to do a 6.5 Grendel build.

I have the option of a 20 or 24 inch barrel so which should I go with?

The rifle will be range rifle paper puncher not a hunting rifle so weight difference isn't an issue. 

You don't need a 24", no way.  I have a 12.5" barreled Grendel that hits 850 yards with 10.6 mils of drop.  There's not alot of velocity difference in the Grendel performance, per inch-of-barrel.  Go with the 20", brother - it'll be able to handle any distance that you throw at it.  No reason at all to go more.  I'd even go 18", if it's available to you.  Shiit, I have two 16" Grendels, two 18" of these things, and the 12.5.  They're a damn sickness...  

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You don't need a 24", no way.  I have a 12.5" barreled Grendel that hits 850 yards with 10.6 mils of drop.  There's not alot of velocity difference in the Grendel performance, per inch-of-barrel.  Go with the 20", brother - it'll be able to handle any distance that you throw at it.  No reason at all to go more.  I'd even go 18", if it's available to you.  Shiit, I have two 16" Grendels, two 18" of these things, and the 12.5.  They're a damn sickness...  

Thanks,

What I saw on paper had me leaning towards the 20 as there didn't seem to be a real world advantage to the 24. A dealer up here has a package with barrel,BCG etc, pretty much everything but the lower and the stripped upper with a choice between 20 and 24.

Because the build is going on a limited run Canadian lower I wanted something accurate and not common. I haven't come across anyone up here shooting the 6.5 Gerndel, luckily I reload. 

20 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Because the build is going on a limited run Canadian lower I wanted something accurate and not common. I haven't come across anyone up here shooting the 6.5 Gerndel, luckily I reload.

It'll be accurate - it's just a very well thought-out cartridge, brother.   When it comes time to reload them, get ahold of me.  I've got a pretty good combination going with them, on Hornady 123 ELD-M projos.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

It'll be accurate - it's just a very well thought-out cartridge, brother.   When it comes time to reload them, get ahold of me.  I've got a pretty good combination going with them, on Hornady 123 ELD-M projos.  :thumbup:

Thank much appreciated,I'll be doing that once I've done now tracking down dies and brass

• 3 weeks later...

Faxon and Ballistic Advantage are both excellent in the Grendel.  I have two of each, and those manufacturers don't disappoint.  The BA barrels I have are the Mk12 profile in 16" and 18", and those barrels really get it done.