• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Federal Shorty 1 3/4" 12 Gauge Shotshells

EugeneStoner

Looks like Federal has decided to give Aquila some competition in the 1 3/4" 12 gauge ammo game.  Spotted these at Rural King next to the Aquila Minishells yesterday and was taken aback that there is now an alternative from Federal. I asked the salesman how long they've had them in stock and he said about four months.  I'm looking forward to giving them a try in my KSG.  In the course of researching this ammo online after I got home I found the Shooting Illustrated article at the second URL below.  It has some good info that others may be interested in including the claim that they will work with Mossberg products if have an Opsol Miniclip adapter (including the gangsta Shockwave).

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/shotshell/federal-target/shorty-shotshells

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/1/27/first-look-federal-premium-shorty-shotshell/

On 6/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, Robocop1051 said:

They make a 4 Buck load. It’s going to be a nasty load!! They are running about $0.45 per round. 

I'm DOWN with the 4 Buck.  That's the best shotgun round that's ever been developed.  Fuk yeah!...   :banana:

@EugeneStoner - THANK YOU for finding that information, man!  I have my Grandfather's 500 loaded with 1 3/4", and the OpSol.  I have three of those adapters.  I need to try one in the Moss 835, and see if it'll get that thing to run the 1 3/4"s too...  The beauty of that 835 is that is chambered for 3 1/2"...  Damn Bird Slayer...    :laffs:

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@EugeneStoner - THANK YOU for finding that information, man!  I have my Grandfather's 500 loaded with 1 3/4", and the OpSol.  I have three of those adapters.  I need to try one in the Moss 835, and see if it'll get that thing to run the 1 3/4"s too...  The beauty of that 835 is that is chambered for 3 1/2"...  Damn Bird Slayer...    :laffs:

You're welcome @98Z5V :thumbup:  I like the 500 and had one chambered for 3 1/2" and configured for hunting with a 28" barrel.  It was a great gun but since I don't bird hunt much anymore I traded it toward my KSG.  It's nice to have a 12 gauge whose overall length is 2" shorter than the barrel of that 500.

On 6/10/2019 at 7:59 PM, Robocop1051 said:

They are running about $0.45 per round. 

Their price is another big plus, the least I have paid for Aquila Buckshot Minishells is about .85 per round.  I really like the Aquila buckshot in my KSG (they go together like peanut butter and jelly) but will switch to Federal if the gun likes it.