• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Solutions to common .308AR platform problems

This thread pretty much hits on all the common problems in the .308AR platform, when dealing with non-factory rifles.  Parts from all kinds of aftermarket manufacturers, that dip their toe in this pond - with no set standard to follow.  Inside this link, are other links - this link branches off into all kinds of other links and discussions, each on a specific issue that we've seen, with solutions and recommendations.  Hit this to start, and get into the information that if contains:   :thumbup:

• Matt.Cross featured and pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Ejectors.  Feeding problems.  Some ejectors just suck.  We've touched on ejectors being a problem here, but just in random threads, trying to diagnose feeding problems.  Here's a great picture that tells the tale on it all.

"Squared off" ejectors will piss you off, make your gun a jam-o-matic, and you'll play hell trying to figure out why you can't shoot more than a couple rounds without a misfeed. Look at your ejector face.  If it's a squared-off ejector face, you will more than likely have a feeding issue, and it will always be the round that comes from the right side of the (double-stack) magazine.  Period.  That's the whole story, right there. 

That round that comes from the right side of the magazine will have to "slide over" and it's gonna hit that square-faced ejector, and cause you some feeding problems.  Round that bastard off, if you have a square-faced ejector, and you have feeding problems. I'll bet you that it fixes your issues.  I can describe how to do this, and it's easy.  Check your gun-function, but then check your ejector closely, and see if this pertains to you...   :thumbup:  Here's the pic - it explains it all.

941925566_ARejectorissues.jpg.1d5cb3a68c00d2d83ff7b2a0180e5950.jpg

"Square-edged" ejectors also rip up your brass, and leave some nasty "ejector smears" that result in sharp "deformations" on the case head on your brass - that's the first clue, if you never looked at your ejector.  That all happens during the "extraction process."  That bolt rotates during unlocking, and that square-edged ejector will tear up your brass on an overgassed gun or an under-recoiled gun... 

That's important, if you're a reloader.  You now have to deal with filing down that brass, just to get it in a shell holder.  That's just something else to look at, if you're having reloading issues, and just getting that brass into a shell holder...  If you've seen that on your brass - look at your ejector face, first...   :thumbup:

This pic was titled "Reloading pressure signs..."   There are no signs of excessive pressure on these two rounds.  But...  there are definite signs of a squared-off ejector causing this brass damage here.  Nothing more than that... 

That ejector was SO square, that it made a full circle on that case.  If it was radiused or rounded - that would not appear like that on this brass...

extruded.jpg

***  FULL DISCLAIMER HERE - I'm not a Certified Gunsmith, so I might not know what I'm talking about.  Since I'm not "certified," - use my info at your own risk, then go to a "Certified Gunsmith" about your issue, and see if he even knows what I'm talking about.  Chances are, he might not have a clue, on AR Platforms...  Thus Endeth the Sermon.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:40 AM, 98Z5V said:

***  FULL DISCLAIMER HERE - I'm not a Certified Gunsmith, so I might not know what I'm talking about.  Since I'm not "certified," - use my info at your own risk, then go to a "Certified Gunsmith" about your issue, and see if he even knows what I'm talking about.  Chances are, he might not have a clue, on AR Platforms...  Thus Endeth the Sermon.

Yep. You SUCK. You don't know $hit. Hope you learn a thing or two over time. :lmao: