• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Juggernaut Tactical .308 80% lower review

haewired

Alright everyone, just a novice AR builder giving you my opinion on a lower I'm trying out.  Remember that I'm a novice and I'm merely noting my experiences and observations.   I milled out this 80% lower with a "80% arms Gen2 Easy jig".   Juggernaut tactical offers lowers in a variety of multi caliber platforms.  I guess I'd categorize this lower in the large caliber, multi caliber category.  I believe they offer their 80% lowers in either anodized or Cerakoted in a variety of colors.   I like the overall design of the lower aesthetically and form wise.  I ordered this lower in the "Raw" so I could put my own designs on it.  Features this lower offers beyond the norm is a Bolt release lever on the right side of the receiver and a Upper / Lower tensioning set screw.  The right side bolt release is nice to have since you can't install a Magpul "Bad" lever or a Phase 5 ambidextrous lever.  If you want one you'll need to spend a lot of time with a file and sandpaper.  The tensioning screw is a welcome addition if you're upper and lower receivers are a bit loose.  I'd prefer this over an accuwedge. 

I planned on mating this lower with my JP Enterprises upper.  There were some adjustments I had to make to make this work with my upper.  For the most part the upper and lower worked out just fine.  The takedown pin could not engage though.  I had to either elongate the takedown pin holes in either the upper or lower or reduce the diameter of the Takedown pin.   Taking down the Takedown pin didn't work out well at all.  I chose the lower because the upper was very expensive and the lower was way cheaper and I have some flexibility in what I can do with it.  What's amazing is, once I had it Cerakoted, you could barely tell the difference.  You can feel the difference when the takedown pin is fully disengaged.  When the takedown pin is pulled out, you can feel a lot more play. 

As far as ergonomics was concerned I rounded the lower part of the trigger guard so it would feel much more comfortable on my grip.  this lower has a lot of sharp angles, and this may be a minor thing but it'll make a difference in comfort on your middle finger when your holding on to your rifle for a extended length of time. 

The right side bolt release uses a rod that seats against the bolt catch and the right side bolt release lever.  If your bolt catch is different, the rod that the lower came with may not be long enough.  In my case I used a Stainless steel nail and cut it to length so It could work out.  It would be a shame to have a non functioning right side bolt release. 

The modification that took the longest was the Magwell.  I always want to make sure the magazine drops out no matter what condition it's in.  Empty, full, partially full, I need it to fall out with nothing more than the aid of gravity.  In my experience the magwell is tight.  So that means Hexmag is a "No Go" for this lower.  Magpul works out with some modification.  Empty, Magpul magazines will naturally fall out.  If you add more than a couple rounds the magzine will slightly widen causing it to bind in the lower's magwell.   I spent several hours with different grades of sandpaper opening up the magwell.  I would say this is my biggest complaint about this lower.  I haven't tried any steel magazines on this lower yet.

Test firing this lower was a pleasure with the exception of the guy who muzzle swept me and everyone else at the range for pictures with his AR-15.  I think building a 308AR will always present challenges no matter what, and I hope my experience will help you in some way or another.  Functionally wise the Juggernaut Lower worked just fine with the JP Enterprises upper.  Let's also take into account that my lower is a 80% lower, so the jig and workmanship worked out as well.  All in all, this lower is fully functional and looks good to boot.  Hopefully this helps along with the attached pictures.  By the way, "HK Specialized Tool" and the logo is something I made up for fun.  It's something I may pursue later on.

DSC00412.JPG

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

DSC00415.JPG

DSC00416.JPG

DSC00417.JPG

DSC00418.JPG

DSC00419.JPG

DSC00420.JPG

DSC00430.JPG

Ok, range report here.  I only shot 40 rounds with no issues and worked flawlessly.  test fired from the standing and bench at 100 yds and suppressed.  I inspected the lower and there were no issues there either.  So I guess it's safe to say that the JP Enterprises upper works fine with the Juggernaut lower given the lower is properly milled and the rear takedown pin holes are aligned.  I attached a video of my father and I spending some time together at the range.

Hope this helps someone out there.

• 1 year later...

Juggernaut AR10 Lower. Rear lock up pin hole on left side is .030 lower than right side hole. Right side hole lines up perfectly with upper Rec. lug. Magazine lock is cut so low that the bolt wont pick up a round and bolt hold open will not engage. This with several different makes of Mags. Suspect Juggernaut is aware of this problem and does not return calls or answer email.