• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I'm fed up with waiting....

Matt.Cross

The wait to complete my MA TEN build is just killing me. Honestly, I know it will be worth the wait for my barrel, but I can't stand waiting any longer. Since you guys are my support group, I'm going to present my options and let you all decide.

Option 1: Wait patiently for my barrel to get here from Lothar Walther, and shoot my DPMS frankenrifle

in the meantime. I don't have high expectations from the frankenrifle and it feels like a waste of ammo to be perfectly honest. The reason I have "frank" is because he is going to become a Mk12 Mod 0 SPR or Mod 1 SPR (not sure yet) mock-up.

Option 2: Order the 18.5" barrel and matched bolt for the SPR build from Fulton Armory, put it on the MA TEN and shoot the living crap out of it until my LW barrel gets here. I would have a build that I can shoot and take pictures of and share with all you guys, and I can put the barrel on "frank" after the LW gets here.

Option 3: Go ahead and start buying the parts for the SPR and forget about the MA TEN until I get said

SPR finished. I can see this taking more time because of the paperwork for the suppressor & whatnot, but at least I'd be distracted from my MA TEN frustration. Option 3 also means that I would be consulting you guys about whether I should build the Mod 0 or Mod 1, so I'll outline the differences:

Mod 0:

PRI Gen III Rifle Length FFHG w/ SPR rail system and A.R.M.S #40 rear sight, and flip up front sight/gas block combo. The Mod 0 would also need the

just for the sake of an accurate mock-up.

or

Mod 1: Daniels Defense Light Rail and flip up front sight/gas block combo. I could also use the suppressor of my choice, but I'd prefer AAC's BRAKEOUT™ 51T Compensator/762-SDN-6™ Suppressor combo.

Help me out here guys, what should I do?

Oh, I'm in it, brother...  ;D

I'd honestly go with the FA barrel and bolt right now, put it on the MA-TEN build, and it'll help you forget about the wait on the LW barrel.  You might not even want to take it apart leter, seriously.  You might come to the conclusion that the FA setup is "getting it done," and you'd completely change lanes and do another build with the LW barrel...  <dontknow>

If you despise "frank" that much, you may not want to change up the MA-TEN just to put the Fulton barrel on frank.  I'm just sayin'...  <laughs>

Whatever you do, don't reach the "waiting point" that you get pissed and cancel the LW barrel - wait for it.  You may have other ideas for it later if you built the Mega with the Fulton setup, though. 

Happy Decision Making!...  <lmao> <munch>

My money is already in the LW barrel, there's no way I'm gonna cancel it, I just can't stand the waiting. Frank is just embarrassing to even look at now that Goldilocks (MA TEN w/ gold trigger) is mostly built, so I'm eager to go ahead and get started on the parts for Frank. Buying the FA barrel makes sense anyways, but I don't know whether I should put it on Frank or Goldilocks. If I rebuild Frank, all the parts are in stock and I won't have an indeterminate waiting period, with the exception of the suppressor. Putting the FA barrel on either gives me a custom build that I can shoot, but doesn't leave me with either build in the condition I first envisioned for them.

At present I'm 99% sure I'll be buying the FA barrel anyways, it's up to the thread readers to figure out which build to put it on.

Pics of Frank:

img1313871521305.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1313871521523.jpg

Pics of Goldilocks:

[img width=810 height=607]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1313871521090.jpg

[img width=810 height=607]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/jm_cross/img1313871520899.jpg

Option 4.  If you are thinking about buying another barrel, Lothar has LW50 .308 VarTac profile 20" barrels in stock.  I found that out yesterday or the day before when I was talking to them.  $360, and it comes with a matched DPMS bolt.  It uses an Armalite AR10 length gas tube, but has a DPMS estension and bolt.  I think it has an .875 gas block. 

When your other barrel arrives, switch to your new barrel and sell the VarTac and bolt. 

Or, follow the 98Z5V playbook, and get another upper receiver  ;D (I confess I have built another upper "not to waste spare parts" - sounded good at the time).

Goldilocks wants a little Krieger in her

That's what I'm thinking, right there.  poop, after seeing pics, it's obvious.  One phone call to Clint, and you're pulling the trigger at the range.  Everything else is already done (I didn't know it was that far built already), and you're only a barrel and matched bolt away.  Parts in stock, delivered to you mid-week next week, and next weekend on the scope zero shoot-fest...  What's not to like?!  <dontknow>

Tell you what, Matt. God's honest truth here, brother.  Just go ahead and buy the Fulton 18.5" MW NM 1:10 twist barrel with matched bolt.  Build Goldilocks with it, for now... 

Once you get it and you're shooting, if you deem that combo "not worthy" for movement to another build, I'll buy it off you for what you have in it, shipped to you, and you can add the shipping to me to the cost I'd pay you for it.  In that regard, you wouldn't even be out one penny.  <thumbsup>  I'll do that for this build, for you.  Your risk is nothing, eventually, if it's not what you're really looking for.  Sweet deal, brother. 

Option 4.  If you are thinking about buying another barrel, Lothar has LW50 .308 VarTac profile 20" barrels in stock.  I found that out yesterday or the day before when I was talking to them.  $360, and it comes with a matched DPMS bolt.  It uses an Armalite AR10 length gas tube, but has a DPMS estension and bolt.  I think it has an .875 gas block. 

If that's one of the proprietary Armalite gas systems (lengths), I'd never do it, based on "options."  I hope Uncle Armalite is reading this, too.  This is only my opinion, and has nothing to do with the view of the people that run this board - this is all me.  I don't want something I can't replace easily.  Working .308 AR guns from multiple manufacturers can make standard AR-15 gas tubes work on a .308 Win firing-and-chambered semi-auto rifle, and I can get those parts literally anywhere.  I can raid them off one of my own guns, if I need to; I can raid them off someone else's gun, if I need to.  I have a common source to keep the gun running - I don't have to rely upon one manufacturer, or one single supplier or source, should I have a gas system failure (gas tube failure, specifically).  This is also the reason I'll never own a RRA .308.  No way, no how.  If Armalite used standard gas tubes and gas systems, I already would have bought or built one, but I won't use one that has anything "out of the norm" of proprietary on it.  I just don't have enough sources to fix it myself.  <dontknow>

My $0.02 - and only mine. 

When your other barrel arrives, switch to your new barrel and sell the VarTac and bolt. 

Or, follow the 98Z5V playbook, and get another upper receiver  ;D (I confess I have built another upper "not to waste spare parts" - sounded good at the time).

Well, one of the reasons for going with Lothar Walther for a custom barrel is that they are not one of the more common go-to choices for ARs in .308, (LMT's being the exception, and that's a production barrel) so part of my objective is to test out some of the less "cookie cutter" type barrels and try some more unusual or specialized items. At this point I'm going to have one LW barrel sometime in the near future, and I don't want to have two until I know that I'm very impressed with them.

That's what I'm thinking, right there.  Shit, after seeing pics, it's obvious.  One phone call to Clint, and you're pulling the trigger at the range.  Everything else is already done (I didn't know it was that far built already), and you're only a barrel and matched bolt away.  Parts in stock, delivered to you mid-week next week, and next weekend on the scope zero shoot-fest...  What's not to like?!  <dontknow>

Tell you what, Matt. God's honest truth here, brother.  Just go ahead and buy the Fulton 18.5" MW NM 1:10 twist barrel with matched bolt.  Build Goldilocks with it, for now... 

Once you get it and you're shooting, if you deem that combo "not worthy" for movement to another build, I'll buy it off you for what you have in it, shipped to you, and you can add the shipping to me to the cost I'd pay you for it.  In that regard, you wouldn't even be out one penny.  <thumbsup>  I'll do that for this build, for you.  Your risk is nothing, eventually, if it's not what you're really looking for.  Sweet deal, brother. 

If that's one of the proprietary Armalite gas systems (lengths), I'd never do it, based on "options."  I hope Uncle Armalite is reading this, too.  This is only my opinion, and has nothing to do with the view of the people that run this board - this is all me.  I don't want something I can't replace easily.  Working .308 AR guns from multiple manufacturers can make standard AR-15 gas tubes work on a .308 Win firing-and-chambered semi-auto rifle, and I can get those parts literally anywhere.  I can raid them off one of my own guns, if I need to; I can raid them off someone else's gun, if I need to.  I have a common source to keep the gun running - I don't have to rely upon one manufacturer, or one single supplier or source, should I have a gas system failure (gas tube failure, specifically).  This is also the reason I'll never own a RRA .308.  No way, no how.  If Armalite used standard gas tubes and gas systems, I already would have bought or built one, but I won't use one that has anything "out of the norm" of proprietary on it.  I just don't have enough sources to fix it myself.  <dontknow>

My $0.02 - and only mine. 

You guys have pretty much convinced me to buy the Krieger from Fulton, I just gotta wait for my payday to roll around. Ultimately the LW will be tested in Goldi, but in the meantime she will probably get initiated with the Krieger. I'll bet if I send them my brake, they'll time it for me and send it back assembled. Gonna have to check into this....

I'll bet if I send them my brake, they'll time it for me and send it back assembled. Gonna have to check into this....

Honestly, a phone call will give you the answer, but an email will get you a "Nope."  Old school guys like phone calls more, I'm just sayin'...  <thumbsup>

(301) 490-9485

9:00am-5:00pm EST, Mondays through Fridays

The wait to complete my MA TEN build is just killing me. Honestly, I know it will be worth the wait for my barrel, but I can't stand waiting any longer. Since you guys are my support group, I'm going to present my options and let you all decide.

Option 1: Wait patiently for my barrel to get here from Lothar Walther, and shoot my DPMS frankenrifle

in the meantime. I don't have high expectations from the frankenrifle and it feels like a waste of ammo to be perfectly honest. The reason I have "frank" is because he is going to become a Mk12 Mod 0 SPR or Mod 1 SPR (not sure yet) mock-up.

Option 2: Order the 18.5" barrel and matched bolt for the SPR build from Fulton Armory, put it on the MA TEN and shoot the living crap out of it until my LW barrel gets here. I would have a build that I can shoot and take pictures of and share with all you guys, and I can put the barrel on "frank" after the LW gets here.

Option 3: Go ahead and start buying the parts for the SPR and forget about the MA TEN until I get said

SPR finished. I can see this taking more time because of the paperwork for the suppressor & whatnot, but at least I'd be distracted from my MA TEN frustration. Option 3 also means that I would be consulting you guys about whether I should build the Mod 0 or Mod 1, so I'll outline the differences:w

Mod 0:

PRI Gen III Rifle Length FFHG w/ SPR rail system and A.R.M.S #40 rear sight, and flip up front sight/gas block combo. The Mod 0 would also need the

just for the sake of an accurate mock-up.

or

Mod 1: Daniels Defense Light Rail and flip up front sight/gas block combo. I could also use the suppressor of my choice, but I'd prefer AAC's BRAKEOUT™ 51T Compensator/762-SDN-6™ Suppressor combo.

Help me out here guys, what should I do?

Here is a picture of my Mk12 Mod0 to help you decide... :)

1000398u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you've finally done it weaponizer. I bought the first components today to eventually begin my .308 SPR build. I'm working my way through the suppressor purchase and making good progress. Pretty soon I will be making PRI one very happy AR accessory company. Trying to buy my way out of the waiting woes might not work so well as I thought. I've already bought the stuff to remedy my original problem and now I just have to wait some more. A fine bunch of help y'all are....  >:( <dontknow>  <thumbsup>