• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Frame Mounted Compensators

Exhail

I am a big fan of frame mounted compensators. Not only do they improve the performance of a weapon, they look really cool. However, in my opinion, they will never work on a polymer gun, and here's why.

I recently purchased a fmc from HK Parts. And for less than $800, I had a weapon that I really liked. However, the compensator mounting method is just not secure. It relies on 2 screws to come through the bottom of the compensator, to seat in the notch of the the frame of my Glock 17 Gen 5. I did email them, and their customer service is great, and offered me a refund, so kudos to them for that. I even considered taking it to a machine shop to come up with a new mounting method, but the problem is the Glock frame. HK Parts has done a different method for the HK, which does seem solid. The HK P30L for instance seems somewhat solid. I'll post a video showing at slow motion, the P30L in slow motion, and how the polymer frame is just too weak for a fmc. It basically opens up like a banana, and the frame actually rocks left and right, then slaps together. Ill also show the method of attachment to the Glock and why this is not working. I'm posting this in hopes that this concept is improved upon.

Is anyone doing this correctly? Yes, Sig Sauer is. Especially with their P220 Sport (no longer in production). But their metal guns have given custom gun makers a sturdy base to work off of. So because of that, I am considering picking one up, because I like this style that much.

Overall the product that HK Parts makes is very cool. If designers could redesign a better mounting method, I think it's great. I do say though, that tiny machined screws need to go. Because the compensator needs to be taken off frequently for cleaning. And it needs to account for the weak frame of polymer guns.

Just my 2 cents...

20190723_134808.jpg

21 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Sweet! :drool:

I used to own that gun in .45 acp. I kick myself for selling it. It was a very strong performer. Sadly, they're so rare, the price is too high for my wallet. But what a great gun though. They did make a 9mm version, which was featured in the movie Tomb Raider.