• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JP Tactical Eliminator or Bennie Coolie Tactical Compensator

Hey, new to the forum and 1st time posting. 

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a decision on muzzle treatments.  I have a RRA LAR-8 Elite Operator and I am thinking of substituting my existing Smith Vortex flash hider with either a JP Tactical Recoil Eliminator or a JP Tactical (Bennie Coolie) Tactical Compensator.  I am considering the change for the recoil reduction and for the aesthetics.  I have a few questions:

Has anyone tried these and if so what is your opinion?

Has anyone tried both and have an opinion as to one or the other?

Can an amateur non-gunsmith install one of these assuming I have a threaded barrel?

Other general thoughts?

Your comments are appreciated.  Thank you. 

Most recoil can be eliminated quickly and easily.  Limbsaver recoil butt pad.  Limbsaver makes four standard shapes/sizes;  these are intended for shotguns?  I now have one on every rifle except the 10/22.  Most felt recoil has gone away.

My DPMS uses a Limbsaver that had a new screw hole drilled at the bottom for that screw.  At the top a large hole was drilled through the rubber foam with a Forstner bit to allow the vent to breathe and the hole in the plastic base of the Limbsaver was enlarged to fit the screw.  It would have been better if the top screwhole was tapered some with a countersink,  but I could not manage that.  My countersinks have too short a shank.  I also had to remove some plastic from the Limbsaver base to fit the end of the buffer tube assembly.  I think I used a wood bit.  This plastic removal needs be done before enlarging the screw hole.  The Limbsaver pad on this rifle is not quite a perfect fit,  but it takes a close look to realize that.  There is NO felt recoil even when wearing only a T-shirt (most of my shooting).  This rifle has the fixed stock with the compartment door in the butt plate.  I lost access to the compartment (do not have a use for that space anyway) and picked up a half-inch length-of-pull which makes the rifle feel better to me.  Do not remember the price of the Limbsaver,  maybe about $25;  under $30 even including the price of a new Forstner bit.

O