• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS or Armalite

Jacksback

New to the platform it appears to be easier for a build with DPMS. I've built 2 ar-15s chambered in 6.8 spc II both run flawless. Looking to step up for the big brother in 308win & 6.5cm. Need one lower and two uppers 16"308 lightweight for hunting and 24" 6.5 for long range. Can I use one buffer & spring in a lower when changing the uppers out?

)Wouldn’t go with Armalite unless your buying a complete rifle. As far as keeping the same buffer and spring, it depends on a huge amount of variables. I suggest reading the Primer puncture thread under General discussions. It covers a lot more then that but gives you an idea of everything involved when switching from 308 to 6.5 Cr. Different pressures and pressure curve, gas velocity, and a whole lot more. Pretty confident you would need to do some experimenting for the right buffer/spring for 6.5 or you might get lucky and they would swap out ok.

Edited by Sisco

Neither of these uppers will be "budget uppers," either.  You need to buy quality barrels - not cheapass barrels that are made to capture customers.  You need to research the parts that go into the whole thing(s) - those uppers.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Neither of these uppers will be "budget uppers," either.  You need to buy quality barrels - not cheapass barrels that are made to capture customers.  You need to research the parts that go into the whole thing(s) - those uppers.

I thank you for the info and will have to start doing some shopping and home work.

• 3 weeks later...

I got me some of that DPMS action back in March; I'm settling into using it now. Just ordered a box full of 25rd 7.62 Pmags to get going, need more ammo. I'm modding the rifle beyond what I currently have; scope, foregrip, lower receiver plate & buffer tube (commercial to milspec), etc. so I can run it the way I want. I'll post again on this soon.

PM me if you're a DPMS .308 fan.

DPMS .308 AR-10 Oracle flattop.jpg

4 minutes ago, William Flatt said:

I got me some of that DPMS action back in March; I'm settling into using it now. Just ordered a box full of 25rd 7.62 Pmags to get going, need more ammo. I'm modding the rifle beyond what I currently have; scope, foregrip, lower receiver plate & buffer tube (commercial to milspec), etc. so I can run it the way I want. I'll post again on this soon.

PM me if you're a DPMS .308 fan.

DPMS .308 AR-10 Oracle flattop.jpg

Have you shot it yet? Is that a current pic of the complete gun?

16 minutes ago, William Flatt said:

Yes!! Why are you being like this??

You talked about a gun you've had since March - and there are NO SIGHTS in it.  You talked a game,but gave a pic of a non-fuctional gun, as far as shooting goes.

THAT WAS WHY I WAS LIKE THAT.   Does that make sense to you?...  I didn't post the pic of your gun for you - YOU did that.  The questions arise, based on what YOU posted.  Are you getting any of this yet?... Or are you still the victim, here?...  

• 1 month later...