• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Palmetto .308 18inss.

Jeremy.308

First off is it an A2 rifle stock or collapsible stock. Did you have the bolt carrier almost dripping with lube? How far does the gas tube go into the upper? Does it go to the middle of the cam pin cutout or is it short of the middle of the cam pin cutout? PSA will fix it eventually but you can have it running right quicker with a few parts. Mine needed a longer gas tube. Pic of where the gas tube should end.

20190907_154934.jpg

Real-Deal Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube (12 1/16" long) and change some recoil system parts out - and drill your gas port up in diameter.  Since you stated it's the 18", then it's probably the PSA 18" midlength gas barrel.  As far as I know, they don't do an 18" rifle gas barrel.  And, it's a 0.070" gas port diameter - which is too small.  Needs to be 0.080"~0.085".

P.S. - PSA isn't going to "fix this" and make these changes for you - they think their combo works perfect.

Edited by 98Z5V

17 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Real-Deal Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube (12 1/16" long) and change some recoil system parts out - and drill your gas port up in diameter.  Since you stated it's the 18", then it's probably the PSA 18" midlength gas barrel.  As far as I know, they don't do an 18" rifle gas barrel.  And, it's a 0.070" gas port diameter - which is too small.  Needs to be 0.080"~0.085".

P.S. - PSA isn't going to "fix this" and make these changes for you - they think their combo works perfect.

Listen to 98Z5V, he knows his stuff. I replaced my recoil spring and buffer (H3 buffer, and proper spring), gas block (went to an adjustable), and gas tube (correct length), and the gun wound up woefully under gassed, and short stroking. Had the gas port opened up and the rifle works great now. Your failure to extract might be a different issue, but don't give up on it! Lot's of good advice here.