• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My 300 Blackout is complete

6132expert

SS, I agree lets show how good our back up/iron sight groups are. Keep in mind the last time I went to the range , at 100yrds I was shooting a 12x12 1inch squares target and yes I landed a few in the center. This range trip I have some larger human siloets and the 12"x12" targets, and I will group a few with th back ups.

OK, went to the range yesterday, and my scope was so far off its not funny. My first shoot at a 100 yards hit the dirt about 10 feet infront of the target. So needless to say I went through 40 round getting it very close to DOA. I have some grouping of about 5 shoots that could be covered with a quarter, but I still have some tuning to do when I get some more ammo. Im not very proud of my target but I will get some pictues up soon.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/ajh2004/3e628501.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/ajh2004/fa2aa538.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/ajh2004/4c0e923a.jpg

Here they are. The hole below the 0 is a grouping at 100 yards. The rest of the holes are sighting in the scope from 25 out to 100 yards and some of them are from the Rockriver. I have the scope very close and I have to get somemore ammo and get back to the range. Really eather way its ready to kill.

To be honest shooting is shooting. I know my 300 shoots much smoother then my Rockriver. A little more tweaking and the 300 will be DOA. I need me some kind of stand to shoot from or a BiPod. The target I posted is me holding the rifle.

One thing I do not get is he thudd the Rockriver makes when I shoot it, also after about 35 rounds in the 300 the bolt quit coming all the way back to strip a new round. I forgot my oil and I think thats all that problem is. It still needs shot to get broke in, and Im up to 80 rounds.

I know your comparing two different guns with different internal components, so it's not like the only variable is the different cal. I don't even know if both of your guns have the same type stocks or barrel length. I was just curious what your impressions were firing impulse and recoil wise and  between .223 and 300.

The 300 has much less recoil. The rockriver I am still running the factory stock so that may have something to do with the felt difference. The barrel lenghts are the same ( 16" ) as well as the gas system, but the RR has the A2 syle flash hider and the 300 has , well not sure what kind of break it is, but it is better then the A2 hider. The RR 556 is a great shooting rifle, and it is really hard to say which I would prefer to shoot. I like the 556 with the federal m193 ammo , but the 300 over all shoots so much smoother with a lot less recoil.

Im not sure what impulse is exactly? <dontknow>

Over all I am happy with my 300 and I will be happier when I get more ammo and shooting time with it. <thumbsup>

Now this may not be accurate, but when I refer to firing impulse, I'm not speaking so much about recoil, but the way the gun "feels". For example, some people consider the recoil from a 12ga to be noticeable, but most agree that the impulse is softer than, say a .308.  Certain guns have a very sharp kick while with others it's more of a punch. I know that this is very subjective and that gun weight and comp effectiveness all effect that, but what I was wondering was if you've noticed that the impulse of the 300 is not as sharp as that of the .223. at least that's how it feels to me.

I dont know what to say about this. I can drop 20 rounds rapied fire out of my RR and I know I have one it, but the 300 I could shoot all day. Going by what you said its really about like shooting my 10/22 but a lot louder. Some of my rifles I just Kreng when it is time to squezze the triger, but the 300 Its really nothing to shoot at all.