• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 pistol questions

Buckeye762

I’d like to buy once, cry once and NOT do a bunch of returns, so I’m trying to get this right on the first go. Any advice is much appreciated. Ok so, 12.5” noveske barrel, their site says it’s a DPMS barrel, can I safely assume that the rest of my build list will work fine( Wilson upper lower, jp lo mass BCG, vseven handguard, spa4 brace)

2 hours ago, Buckeye762 said:

I’d like to buy once, cry once and NOT do a bunch of returns, so I’m trying to get this right on the first go. Any advice is much appreciated. Ok so, 12.5” noveske barrel, their site says it’s a DPMS barrel, can I safely assume that the rest of my build list will work fine( Wilson upper lower, jp lo mass BCG, vseven handguard, spa4 brace)

FWIW IMHO that will all work. The only caveat I know of with bolts is that the Nickel Boron plated ones some have experienced short headspace with them. So if you are planning on using one I'd have the bolt headspaced with the barrel by the mfg.

Bill

Not a big fan of NiB myself. I don't find a big advantage to lubricity or ease of cleaning over the nitride/QPQ finishes and they do not add any to the dimensions plus usually cost a little less. I have experienced some flaking on Nib but that could be a manufacturer issue. 

I have 12.5 inch 308AR's, factory and home builds, the DI versions do not recoil excessively but I think I would stick with full mass BCG's just to help soak up some of that energy. A standard nitride BCG from Toolcraft or Brownells will be more than adequate.

7 hours ago, Buckeye762 said:

By the time you add a .30 Cal muzzle device to it, it's gonna be longer than 12.5",and more .30 Cal muzzle devices are around 2.5" long.  Even with thread overlap, you'll be pretty close to 15", or a little over - muzzle device selection will determine that, nothing more.

I shortcutted this process with a 13.5" Armalite barrel, and Armalite's Competition brake. It's barely over 16", so I pinned/welded it.  I run a full stock on it, and it's legal, because (pinned and welded) my total barrel length is at or over 16".  It's one badass little .308.

P1060432.JPG