• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrels

mchljrdn

8 minutes ago, mchljrdn said:

What's the consensus on barrels for AR-10's?  I've been looking at Wilson Combat and Faxon in addition to just having one made by the custom barrel shops.  Any wisdom is appreciated.

Both Wilson Combat and Faxon are great barrels.  As well as Ballistic Advantage - and LaRue, if you haven't looked at them, yet.  Between those companies, if you can't find the profile that you want - then check Fulton Armory.  Once you've exhausted those companies, and still can't find what you need or want -it's off to the custom barrel maker...

7 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

The first question is always "What are going to use it for?"  As 98Z5V said, Wilson Combat, Faxon and Ballistic Advantage will make a more than adequate barrel for most any need.

A toy more than likely 🙂 ...  With that said I'll probably use it to hunt.  I'm looking at lighter barrels - I want to stay under 38oz at 18"  

Edited by mchljrdn

39 minutes ago, mchljrdn said:

What's the consensus on barrels for AR-10's?  I've been looking at Wilson Combat and Faxon in addition to just having one made by the custom barrel shops.  Any wisdom is appreciated.

We're posting .308 Win caliber barrels - and you haven't even stated the caliber that you'll hunt with yet...   :popcorn:

The 17" from Wilson is one I have on my short list.  I will run .308 or .338 - probably .308  The gun could serve on any game up to and including elk.  I take most of my shots under 200 yards and cap my shots at 400 unless I'm running an appropriate setup.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

If I was hunting this gun - meat matters.  I'd run one of the ones that Doc posted above, or this one. 

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-308-WIN-Bill-Wilson-Hunter-17-1-1125-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-308BWHRG17RC11.25/

I have a few of the barrels I've mentioned, and they're all good.  16" BA Grendel barrel routinaly does .680" 5-shots.  Several 18" BA 5.56 barrels do the same.  My Wilson Combat .260 barrel will run 0.5" 5-shots all day long, even if I'm on coffee and Copenhagen before I shoot it. I feel your pain, and I'll hate it when one of these starts to open up.  When they do, they'll get sent off and chambered-up.  The 5.56 barrels will become 25-45 barrels, the .260 will be a 7mm-08, the Grendel barrels will become grounding rods - I can't chamber those things up...  I hear ya...

So many Match quality AR barrels out there, in so many calibers - there's no reason for a custom barrel anymore... 

On 3/1/2020 at 10:33 PM, 98Z5V said:

I have a few of the barrels I've mentioned, and they're all good.  16" BA Grendel barrel routinaly does .680" 5-shots.  Several 18" BA 5.56 barrels do the same.  My Wilson Combat .260 barrel will run 0.5" 5-shots all day long, even if I'm on coffee and Copenhagen before I shoot it. I feel your pain, and I'll hate it when one of these starts to open up.  When they do, they'll get sent off and chambered-up.  The 5.56 barrels will become 25-45 barrels, the .260 will be a 7mm-08, the Grendel barrels will become grounding rods - I can't chamber those things up...  I hear ya...

So many Match quality AR barrels out there, in so many calibers - there's no reason for a custom barrel anymore... 

Thanks!  Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Wilson Combat 17".