• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New LR 308, NEED INFO

Bear

Hello from southern Arizona. Long time bolt gun target shooter, have avoided gas guns for accuracy problems. Just picked up a new (used) DPMS LR 308. I think it's an early one, 4 digit serial. 22" stainless bull barrel, upper has no dust cover, and no holes to install one. A2 butt stock, and a 12 1/2" handguard. I received no paperwork with this rifle, and wondering what exact model it is? Haven't fired it yet, still waiting for UPS to deliver the scope and mount.15957501760462154231446141841249.thumb.jpg.f3126e08e36d971bbf30782dbd2c3a21.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Plan to use this mainly for target, but also planning on building or buying a 6.5 Creedmoor upper with a shorter barrel for plinking.

Thanks for the replies! I kind of suspected this was a Gen 1 from browsing the interwebs. SN is 249x, about when was this made? Bought the gun under the impression it was new because of cherry condition, but after disassembly and cleaning, found some brass residue on bolt face. Figure it was somebodies safe queen.

Edited by Bear
Punctuation and spelling

Older than I thought then. Paid $769, fair price? Still anxiously awaiting UPS, and browsing my bolt gun ammo for likely loads. For the bolt guns, used 168 gr bullets almost exclusively with Varget and IMR 4064, anybody have any pointers on likely starting combinations? Most of the brass that I still have is LC LR 04 and 07 headstamped, also  a couple hundred Starline and Nosler.

Here's the factory manual for your gun - your specific rifle is on the far left, on the cover page of the manual:

https://www.vintagegunleather.com/gun-manuals/pdf_D/dpms_pantherarms.pdf

4-digit serial numbers up to (confirmed) 4,5xx - were all pre-ban guns (made prior to the Clinton AWB).  That one you have, definitely has some age to it.  Looks like a 24" barrel, though - but maybe it was cut down throughout the years...

DPMS manufactured 10,300 total rifles before 13 Sep 1994 - those were the total number of "pre-bans" that they had to account for.

Edited by 98Z5V

40 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Here's the factory manual for your gun - your specific rifle is on the far left, on the cover page of the manual:

https://www.vintagegunleather.com/gun-manuals/pdf_D/dpms_pantherarms.pdf

4-digit serial numbers up to (confirmed) 4,5xx - were all pre-ban guns (made prior to the Clinton AWB).  That one you have, definitely has some age to it.  Looks like a 24" barrel, though - but maybe it was cut down throughout the years...

DPMS manufactured 10,300 total rifles before 13 Sep 1994 - those were the total number of "pre-bans" that they had to account for.

Whoa! Thanks for that, have been looking for a manual, and yes, you're right, broke out the tape measure and it is a 24" barrel, target crowned. Can't figure why someone bought this and put it in the closet, it looks brand new.