• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

how did i ruin my sizing die?

stonegraham

I've been shooting a 6mm Comp Match for several years. I've loaded approximately 3000 rounds in that amount of time.
This past spring when I was loading up some practice rounds I noticed that my sized brass was coming out of the die scratched. The scratches are parallel to the axis of the case, and at several points around the circumference of the case. It had been a while since I cleaned the dies so I tore them down and took a look. There where huge brass streaks in the die. I cleaned the die, which ended up being a hassle. I had to use wipe out to get rid of all the brass in the dies. Then I hit them with break cleaner followed by One Shot cleaner/lube. I inspected the dies again. Brass streaks are gone, but I can see pits/burrs in the die body. Using a cotton swab you can easily feel these areas. I'm going to call Redding this week and see if they can hone that out and return the die.

My reloading procedure for this brass (after being fired) has been:
Tumble ( I think the latest bucket of media is walnut)
Anneal
Lube (Dillon or Frankford Arsenal lanolin type)
Size
Prime
Charge
Seat
What happened that I scored this die?
Was the brass not clean enough? Lube issue? Die not cleaned often enough.

I want to avoid this mistake in the future.
Thanks,

5 hours ago, stonegraham said:

My reloading procedure for this brass (after being fired) has been:
Tumble ( I think the latest bucket of media is walnut)
Anneal
Lube (Dillon or Frankford Arsenal lanolin type)
Size
Prime
Charge
Seat
What happened that I scored this die?
Was the brass not clean enough? Lube issue? Die not cleaned often enough.

So, initially tumbled, but never cleaned after lubing them?  You lube them to resize/deprime them, and you go straight to priming a lubed case?

Usually scored dies are from dirt/debris on the brass being inserted into the die.  You could have picked up some dirt from anywhere.  

I have done this after being extremely meticulous with my steps also.  I will say that not cleaning the dies was most likely my culprit also.

What I chalk it up to is that there was something still on the case after being tumbled, didn't notice the crap, and scratched my die.  What I DO know is once this is done, the die will not stop etching your brass, unless  you would repolish it.  Better to just buy a new one.

And I will back up 98's question, I am assuming you just missed typing in a step for us to read.