• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

F-16 fighter jet crashed in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, rescue crews search for pilot

Doodle

The fighter jet was from the 115th Fighter Wing at Truax Field Air National Guard Base in Madison and training flights had been planned in the evenings from Monday through Thursday.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/12/f-16-fighter-jet-crashed-in-michigans-upper-peninsula-rescue-crews-search-for-pilot.html

The crash occurred north of the U.P.’s Garden Peninsula, near the border of Delta and Schoolcraft counties in the Hiawatha National Forest. U.S. Forest Service workers joined with local authorities to set up a perimeter and begin the search late Tuesday. Military teams were joining them early today.

Had the family camping up at Fayette State Park this past summer, beautiful area.

Hope they find the pilot and all is OK.

Edited by Doodle

2 hours ago, shepp said:

Just read about this, base isn’t far from me. Hope they find him soon 

Yeah, if they haven't found him by now, that's a very bad sign, best wishes USAF jet jockey, hope your family get a miracle for Christmas Ace! I really do, I worried about my old Daddy, especially when he went to SEA! takes a special kind of Momma to keep the home fires burning!

since the granola eaters have been fighting tge F-35’s coming to the base I’ve been on the 115ths mailing list, I just received this 

Support for the family of Capt. Durwood "Hawk" Jones

MADISON – Chris “Desi” Arenz, Executive Director of the Badger Air Community Council (BACC) and a former pilot with the 115th Fighter Wing released the following statement:

"On behalf of the Badger Air Community Council (BACC) I want to extend our deepest condolences to the family of Air Force Capt. Durwood “Hawk” Jones. Your family has suffered an unimaginable loss, and you will be in our thoughts and prayers as we all grieve the loss of your husband, father, son, son-in-law, friend, colleague and hero. Our community, state and country have suffered a tremendous loss.

We are proud of Capt. Jones. He will be remembered as a patriot, leader, a decorated pilot and a proud American who served his country with tremendous valor. He will be sorely missed.

The four generations of airmen and families of the 115th Fighter Wing are woven into the fabric of our community. They are our friends, neighbors, colleagues and family. A loss felt by them is a loss felt by all of us. This tragedy is an unfortunate reminder of the sacrifices that are borne by the 1,200 men and women who serve at the 115th Fighter Wing, and their families, and all of our military service members and their families. It is also an important reminder for us as members of the greater community of the need to support and lift them up."

Captain Durwood is survived by his wife and two children.

Because of the overwhelming outpouring of support that has been expressed to the 115th Fighter Wing and Wisconsin National Guard, the BACC has been asked to establish a fund to benefit the family. A donation link can be found on our website at www.badgerair.org. or donations can be mailed and made out to Badger Air Community Council, P.O. Box 192, Madison, WI, 53701, with “Jones Family” in the memo.

Pilot who died when F-16 jet crashed in Upper Peninsula was decorated combat veteran

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/12/pilot-who-died-when-f-16-jet-crashed-in-upper-peninsula-was-decorated-combat-veteran.html

Jones, who is survived by his wife and two children, joined the Air National Guard in 2011, according to the AP. He was deployed to Japan in 2015, then Korea in 2017 and later to Afghanistan in 2019. During the course of his service, Jones was awarded two Air Medals given to service members who have been either exposed to or faced significant risk of hostile action.

🇺🇸😞