• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Old Guy from Central Texas

Retired Mike

On 12/25/2020 at 5:27 PM, Retired Mike said:

Hi, new to right group living in Central Texas where I retired 6 years ago. I've become addicted to night Hog Hunting and up to now my primary Hog rig was my Mauser M12 chambered in 308 WIN, with occasionally use of my AR-15. In my humble opinion, the 308 is an awesome round for knocking down Hogs, but the bolt action Mauser typically limited me to one Hog at a time. It took six months to get, but I just took delivery of a RRA LAR-8 chambered in 7.62 NATO, which is a first to me. From what I've been able to gleam from the web, I should be able to use my normal 308 WIN ammunition, but before I shoot it for the first time, I need confirmation that this will be okay. I have a decent supply of 308 and no 7.62 and good  luck trying to find any on a shelf.

2020, 12-25, Ready to Zero.png

IMG_1474.JPG

I'm curious about getting a nightvision scope, probably Infa-red  (100-250 yds.) for my M1A NM rifle what is that you are using?

4 hours ago, mrmackc said:

I'm curious about getting a nightvision scope, probably Infa-red  (100-250 yds.) for my M1A NM rifle what is that you are using?

I'm using a Pulsar XP-50 Thermal. I also have an older Armasight Apollo thermal that I use as a hand help thermal to scan with and have a PVS-14 night vision monocular that can be hand held or mounted on a helmet for hands free operation. The night vision is great for walking or driving in a field at night. I started out with a Gen 2 night vision scope, but was disappointed in it and it now gathers dust in a cabinet. In my seven years of  experience, I would highly recommend thermal over night vision if you can swing it. I can look out over my fields at night with the night vision and not see critters that immediately pop up with thermal. If at all possible, try before you buy.  Hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, Retired Mike said:

I'm using a Pulsar XP-50 Thermal. I also have an older Armasight Apollo thermal that I use as a hand help thermal to scan with and have a PVS-14 night vision monocular that can be hand held or mounted on a helmet for hands free operation. The night vision is great for walking or driving in a field at night. I started out with a Gen 2 night vision scope, but was disappointed in it and it now gathers dust in a cabinet. In my seven years of  experience, I would highly recommend thermal over night vision if you can swing it. I can look out over my fields at night with the night vision and not see critters that immediately pop up with thermal. If at all possible, try before you buy.  Hope this helps. 

Yes it is a big help, I have never used anuthing except a high Lumens light,  I've been getting data on the Pulsar XP-50 Thermal..

The XP-50 is big and heavy, but since I shoot mostly from a tripod, weight is not as big an issue. That said, I am tickled pink with the XP-50. Pulsar also makes a thermal that looks much like a regular scope. Best advice through is to look thru whatever you're looking at buying. With a thermal, you can also use it in daylight.